Sign in to follow this  

Safety jacket vs. traditional roost guard?

I bought the under-the-jersey jacket, which has a full-length back protector, shoulder and elbow guards, kidney belt and of course the front panels. I find it comfortable and like that it's under a jersey - it'll stay clean.

Need to pick up safety gear for my wife and daughter before we hit the trails. They've been using the MSF stuff, which is provided at class, so they're used to the over-the-jersey style. They're not sold on it, thought, so I figured I'd see what more experienced folks have to say about both styles.

Opinions?

Thanks!

..a

I like them cuz they are all in one, and less bulky. I've got the Velocity Gear juggernaut...and the latest Troy Lee offering. My girlfriend doesn't always wear hers cuz it 'rubs her wrong', but I think it's cuz she doesn't wear an undershirt with it. When she does, it doesn't seem to bother her, but it gets warm in the summer for her.

They need to be washed...cuz they can get to rankin non-stop :lol:

that's why I got two...

I wore an over the jersey roost guard for years...recently picked up the EVS Ballistic jacket, and will never go back. EVERYTHING works better...kidney belt, protection, and it's so much easier to wear a backpack or camelback. With that said, I'm not sure my wife would find it comfortable, as the chest area is "not roomy enough", if ya know what I mean. You may want to post this question on the Thumpette forum to get the "woman's view"

Thanks. Yeah, my wife tried mine on, I'm a lot bigger than her but it didn't fit up front! :lol: Where is the thumpette forum?

..a

Get what's comfortable, and offers reasonable protection for the riding they do.

If it's not comfortable, it's not going to get worn. If it's not worn, it doesn't do you any good.

I tried a pressure suit once, looking for something I could wear under my jersey and still offer decent protection for all-day riding. Made it about 10mins from the truck before I turned around and traded out for my old roost guard. Couldn't stand the thing... kidney belt bunched up, whole thing wanted to creep up to my neck, chest armor was a joke, tight under the arms...

Wore a plastic roost guard for a few years. It did its job a few times. But it wasn't real comfy with a pack on.

Now I wear a Tekvest... More $$ than just about everything else out there... Warmer too, keep that in mind if you ride in extreme heat. But for comfort and protection, it's the best I've tried (And I've tried a lot of gear).

P9250162.jpg

Get what's comfortable, and offers reasonable protection for the riding they do.

If it's not comfortable, it's not going to get worn. If it's not worn, it doesn't do you any good.

I tried a pressure suit once, looking for something I could wear under my jersey and still offer decent protection for all-day riding. Made it about 10mins from the truck before I turned around and traded out for my old roost guard. Couldn't stand the thing... kidney belt bunched up, whole thing wanted to creep up to my neck, chest armor was a joke, tight under the arms...

Wore a plastic roost guard for a few years. It did its job a few times. But it wasn't real comfy with a pack on.

Now I wear a Tekvest... More $$ than just about everything else out there... Warmer too, keep that in mind if you ride in extreme heat. But for comfort and protection, it's the best I've tried (And I've tried a lot of gear).

P9250162.jpg

any preference between the KLIM or the EVS offerings?

The Tekvests that Snowmule is talking about are like this

150309-klim_tek_vest_barn.jpg

EVS now has a competing product that is similar...doesn't have the shoulder cups...$50 cheaper.

The Klim vest is a Freestyle with Klim's name, colors, a D-ring.... and the price tag. There's a couple more holes in it for ventilation, but not enough that it's going to make a difference. Honestly.... buy a Tekrider freestyle and put the money you would have spent on the Klim vest towards the shoulder pads.

My snowmobiling tekvest is their race model... a lot beefier than the freestyle, less ventilation, built-in shoulder pads. It's made to be worn for protection during races, not necessarily for all-day riding like the Freestyle. IMO the race vest is more comfortable on the sled all day versus the freestyle. Way too hot on teh bike though.

EVS has the two new snowmobile vests... Only seen pics of them, never seen one in person so I really can't give an honest opinion of them. Their vest is more like Tekrider's "super sport" model than the freestyle, I'd imagine that it's not vented nearly as much as the freestyle is. Their race vest is 144-orange/ISR legal, includes shoulder pads, and is Leatt-compatible. I'd also bet it's going to be just as warm as my race vest is.

Here's my snowmobiling vest:

DSC03502.jpg

The Tekvests that Snowmule is talking about are like this

150309-klim_tek_vest_barn.jpg

EVS now has a competing product that is similar...doesn't have the shoulder cups...$50 cheaper.

ya i was just refering to the OP. im assuming thats what he meant by under jersey "safety jacket".

The Klim vest is a Freestyle with Klim's name, colors, a D-ring.... and the price tag. There's a couple more holes in it for ventilation, but not enough that it's going to make a difference. Honestly.... buy a Tekrider freestyle and put the money you would have spent on the Klim vest towards the shoulder pads.

My snowmobiling tekvest is their race model... a lot beefier than the freestyle, less ventilation, built-in shoulder pads. It's made to be worn for protection during races, not necessarily for all-day riding like the Freestyle. IMO the race vest is more comfortable on the sled all day versus the freestyle. Way too hot on teh bike though.

EVS has the two new snowmobile vests... Only seen pics of them, never seen one in person so I really can't give an honest opinion of them. Their vest is more like Tekrider's "super sport" model than the freestyle, I'd imagine that it's not vented nearly as much as the freestyle is. Their race vest is 144-orange/ISR legal, includes shoulder pads, and is Leatt-compatible. I'd also bet it's going to be just as warm as my race vest is.

Here's my snowmobiling vest:

DSC03502.jpg

The EVS I saw yesterday looked almost identical to the Freestyle Tekvest. It was $199. The KLIM offering was $250. Neither had the shoulder pads. The KLIM product was exactly as above.

However, when I look online, all I find for EVS is this Orange one with shoulders. :lol:

474.jpg

http://evs-sports.com/product/chest-protection/sv1r--race-ready-protective-snow-vest/

Edited by Slackkinhard
clarification

The EVS I saw yesterday looked almost identical to the Freestyle Tekvest. It was $199. The KLIM offering was $250. Neither had the shoulder pads. The KLIM product was exactly as above.

However, when I look online, all I find is this Orange one with shoulders. :lol:

474.jpg

http://evs-sports.com/product/chest-protection/sv1r--race-ready-protective-snow-vest/

its $250!! does it stop bullets??