Sign in to follow this  

Chain Stretch?

I have a '99 WR400 with a white bros. exhaust. Torque!! It seems like my chain is stretching, though. Is that even possible? I keep having to adjust my rear wheel back further on the swingarm to tighten the chain. I'm running out of room.

Would it be bad to just remove a link? Or should I buy a new chain?

Thanks!

Chains probably wore out. Check your sprockets also for wear. I run nothing but o ring or x ring chains and steel sprockets. Very little stretch. When you replace the chain replace the sprockets also unless there is absolutely no sign of wear. Some say o ring chains and steel sprockets rob power because of the weight but I can't tell it on my 450.

chains stretch and sprockets wear... replace them! Ive seen people take links out, and be fine for a while.. but you wont see me doing it.

Do some searching on Standard vs. O-ring chain, and Steel vs Aluminum sprockets. Decide for yourself what you want to go with. The bottom line is, you need to replace your chain and sprockets soon.

When facing your rear sprocket from the side. Take a hold of the chain at the three o'clock side of the sprocket. How far can you pull the chain away from the sprocket? If you can pull it away very far at all. Your set is worn out.

Thanks for the responses. I think the chain and sprockets are toast. Do bikes come out of the factory with standard or o ring chains? I bought the bike used and don't know what's on there now.

Thanks for the responses. I think the chain and sprockets are toast. Do bikes come out of the factory with standard or o ring chains? I bought the bike used and don't know what's on there now.

Different types of bikes come with one or the other. MX bikes come with standard chains, most all modern off road bikes come with O or X ring chains. Some exceptions, like my KDX. KDX220 came with an O-ring chain. KDX200 came with a standard.

Can't say which you WR came with back in 99, but if your off roading it, I'd definitley go back with steel sprockets and a quality X-ring chain.

It is really a matter of preference on weather you replace your chain with a O-Ring or NON O-Ring chain , they each have their pluses and negatives , i personally do not use O-Ring chains anymore , i feel a QUALITY non O-Ring chain lasts me 2 times that of a cheap O-Ring or cheap NON O-Ring chain , usually the more expensive chains last longer , i prefer DID chains , they usually run around $80-$100 , just for the chain , but the life you get from it versus a $30-$50 chain i quite noticeable , i have good luck with Aluminum and steel sprockets both lasting when using a quality chain , the opposite when using a cheap chain , it seems the wear is 3-4 times as fast

i have an o ring chain on my yz 125 and i've adjusted it twice in two years. sprockets are just now starting to show a little wear. and i ride every weekend. i'm a firm believer on that setup

Theres NO question that the O-ring chain will last longer. On a 125 I wouldnt run one because I want all the power i could get. A lot of people say the power difference is immeasurable. Ive seen dynos that say there is, and ive seen dynos that say there isnt.

I dont run one on a 450, and I certainly wouldnt run one on a 125, but if you dont notice a difference than thats great. i dunno.

Chart's for machinery chains, but the same general principle applies:

Backup_200203_Lub101-Fig2.gif

A new chain will stretch a little the first week or two it's on.

Then it'll hold pretty steady for its life.

As it approaches end-of-life, it'll start to stretch a lot more again and you'll constantly be adjusting the tension.

When it gets to that point, it's time to replace it.

Chains do not "stretch" The pins and rollers wear out and the chain loosens. If the chain loosens too much it is worn out and needs to be replaced. If the pins wear too much the chain can break. Not a good idea to remove links from a worn out chain. Replace.

Definitely replace it. The chain on my YZ was doing the same thing and the sprockets were toast but I'm a cheap ass and didn't want to drop the coin on a new chain and sprockets and kept telling my self, "OK just one more track day than I'll get new stuff." Came out of the hairpin slipping the clutch in 2nd about to click 3rd before the lip and WINGDINGDINGDING!!! no more chain... I'm just super stoked it didn't happen like a half a second later when I was on the lip and soon to be doing a gnarly inverted boner!