Sign in to follow this  

California Mammoth MX advice sought

After 10+ years of having the mammoth mx on my bucket list, I am planning my road to mammoth. I understand how the qualification process works, and am planning on attending the Oatfield qualifier (if this is on the list for 2012). I frequently race mx, so I know the drill with racing.

My question is with the logistics of racing mammoth. Where do you like to stay? I have fifthwheel trailer, however I'm wondering if that is the optimum route to take, or is it better to just rent room, condo, ect? I've heard that there is no camping at the track, and getting to the track on race day is a challenge.

So what do you folks that have raced before do? How do you handle bike/gear storage? What are the pit arrangements? Can you camp in the pits?

Thanks in advance for your responses.

:lol:

After all the years of going to watch the race I'm going to race it this year. I've never raced before but it's on my bucket list too.

About a mile from the track is Sherwin Creek campground. You can ride from the campground to the track if racing, or plated and spectating, or on a bicycle. The campground is actually closer to the track than the parking lot where you get tickets and are shuttled in. Inyo National forest has info on reservations. You can also ride from the campground to surrounding areas. Good times

DSCF0346.jpg

DSCN0018.jpg

PICT0001-1-1.jpg

Even fishing from the campground

DSCF0389.jpg

I work for the mountain, and have worked the event a few years in a row.

There isn’t any camping at the track, but if you’re looking to camp, most people look for designated places along Sherwin creek road, shady rest, or the mammoth RV park. All owners of accommodation in Mammoth are very accommodating of racers, so that’s also a great option.

Getting to the track isn’t necessarily a challenge, but you have to prepared. You can bring your toy haulers, trailers, trucks etc to the track each day, but the parking is very limited. They start letting people in at 5am, and you have to show you are racing that day. I’ve seen some people leave their vehicles in the parking lot at the gate as early as 6pm the night before, just to get a spot the following day.

Oatfield is very well attended, so bring you’re ‘A’ game to qualify there. I think there will be around 400 entries there. Another qualifying option is the Honolulu Hills at Taft, which has far less entries and should be an easier process to qualify. Worst case scenario, you can always try to apply online, if you don’t make it in the pre races. I think roughly 60% of racers get in through the pre races, and rest come from online.

If you have any specific questions, don’t hesitate to ask. If I cannot answer them, I’ll forward them to those who can. It’s a great event, and I can’t recommend it enough.

Neil.

I know this is a old thread but my son and i are racing mammoth this year. Is it true that the assign parking by priority like how many racers you have etc etc. We are bring a toy hauler but wondering if it would be better to just put the bikes in back of the truck instead of hauling a 31ft trailer in everyday????