Sign in to follow this  

Powdercoating question...

I'm thinking about having my frame powdercoaded and my question is, is that I have heard that you can have a powdercoating primer done that makes the powdercoating even stronger and resist chipping even more. Have any of you guys had this done and is it worth the extra expense?

Thanks

I don't know anything about powdercoating primer, but I've done 2 frames with standard coating and the durability was excellent.

if its cleaned & prepped correctly u should be fine...

a buddy of mine took a frame to the local powdercoater, the prep job lacked someting to be desired. when he got the frame back, we were putting the motor in, barely bumped the frame & chipped off a pretty big piece on the motor mount. just clean everything really well (no grease, no dust) & you shouldn't have any problems:thumbsup:

since then i've done some powdercoat work for a guy, and never had a need for any special primer!

• Like 1

Good point. Also be carefull of which blast media they use, the first frame was done with a fairly rough media with resulted in a hammered finish. the second was with glass bead media, which left a much smoother surface and better finish.

As far as the prep goes I think I'm going to use the Aircraft paint stripper.

Thank that will be ok?

Primer helps with adhesion, poor surface quality, uneven surfaces, orange peel, high impact and chemical resistance.

I mainly use a primer when there may be an issue with out gassing, or the base metal isn't in the greatest condition due to deep scratches etc.

If your doing this on your steel KX frame you wont have really any out gassing issues, so adding a primer will not really be required, but wont hurt either.

Be sure to ask the powder coater not to sandblast your vin #, use paint stripper in that area only.

Powdercoating for frames is the worst.

When it chips, and it will, it cannot be repaired.

Automotive acrylic enamel with a cross linker is almost as durable, fuel proof, way easier to apply, and can easily be sanded down and touched up.

As an old restorer I've done a bunch of them, and been painting as a hobby for 40 years.

I know, you want powdercoating and you're going to use it anyway. When it looks like shit remember that I told you so. :lol:

Powdercoating for frames is the worst.

When it chips, and it will, it cannot be repaired.

Automotive acrylic enamel with a cross linker is almost as durable, fuel proof, way easier to apply, and can easily be sanded down and touched up.

As an old restorer I've done a bunch of them, and been painting as a hobby for 40 years.

I know, you want powdercoating and you're going to use it anyway. When it looks like shit remember that I told you so. :lol:

I don't know alot about paint so....what is a cross linker???

I don't know alot about paint so....what is a cross linker???

Hardener for acrylic enamel. The paint manufacturers have them for their paints, i.e. Dupont, PPG, etc. but I have always used the inexpensive one from Marhyde. It converts the acrylic paint to a single stage urethane.

What cjbrown said " Powdercoating for frames is the worst.

When it chips, and it will, it cannot be repaired" is so true.

Powdercoating is not a good dirtbike frame coating, it's hard plastic that is liquified onto your frame with heat. no touch ups. Also when it does chip, moisture will work it's way behind the powdercoat. I use to work in the marine industry and remember removing radars. complete sheets of the powdercoating would peel off due to corrosion underneath. looked perfect before we unbolted it.

Hummm....thanks for all the replies! Now I have to decide if I should just paint the frame. Thats sounding better and better!

Powdercoating is not a good dirtbike frame coating, it's hard plastic that is liquified onto your frame with heat. no touch ups. Also when it does chip, moisture will work it's way behind the powdercoat. I use to work in the marine industry and remember removing radars. complete sheets of the powdercoating would peel off due to corrosion underneath. looked perfect before we unbolted it.

that is a good point, but the key thing u said was "marine idustry"

i too have worked in the marine industry. about the only thing that can survive that environment is plastic and fibreglass.

aside from the occasional puddles and rain rides, bikes don't generally spend that much time around water or moisture.

keep it clean and dry when ur not riding, and u shouldn't see too much (if any)corrosion.

plenty of paint has been worn off and chipped off my '99yz, and there's no rust/corrosion... in my opinion...powder coat will look just fine, its a dirt bike, not a statue! that's just my two cents!

either will work fine but if you go with powder maker sure its a color you can get as a paint as well as you might need to touch it up

There is no argument that powder coating (PC) very durable if applied properly. The previous comments about chipping or flaking off will not happen if it's properly applied. Make sure your PC shop knows what their doing. The question is, do you plan on doing the paint job yourself or having a professional shop do it? If your going to rattle can it yourself, go for it, and the touch up will be easy. If you have a shop do it, the touch up could be a issue with liquid and PC. BTW, I have many parts on my bike PC'ed wheels hubs skid plates ect, it's tough stuff and I love it.

Yeah, I had powder coated my oil pump guard about 3 years ago and it still looks good. The only defects in the PC are from impacts that gouged the aluminum. If the metal is hit hard enough to gouge the metal no coating will stand up to that. Even galvanizing will can be penetrated. I will try to post pic's later, it's way too dirty right now.

I had my Harley frame powdercoated black with a clear over it that made it extremely durable.