Sign in to follow this  

1994 xr200r

Hey all, first post, new member, first bike.

Found her on craigslist for $320 and got for $280. The PO had taken the engine, exhaust, carb, and air box off to do some performance mods and never got around to it being a college student with a child... So it was running and the parts were taken off never to be touched until now. The engine is in great shape and so will be the carb after a good ol fashioned cleaning. However, I do need a few things:

Mechanically, engine mounting hardware (Can i get this from a hardware store locally so i dont have to wait 2 weeks for them to get to me from an online store, if so what will i need?), rear brake cable, oil drain plug, a gasket or some sort of sealant for the petcock (a little leaky), and an air filter.

Cosmetically, rear fender, side cover, seat cover, grips, and eventually a paint job as the frames a little rusty.

Thanks in advance, any help is greatly appreciated.

edit- Sorry if this is in the wrong place, i saw XR and posted here, feel free to move it mods.

Well, I asked a question about a bike a couple of years OLDER than yours and I was told to go elsewhere (it wasn't old enough) so we'll see what happens.

1. Engine mounting hardware (Can i get this from a hardware store locally so i dont have to wait 2 weeks for them to get to me from an online store, if so what will i need?)

You can use threaded rod from the Hardware store in a pinch. Also search out cycle salvage yards. There's one 30 miles from me if you need number I'll provide it.

2. Rear brake cable, oil drain plug, a gasket or some sort of sealant for the petcock (a little leaky), and an air filter. Now you are getting into some specialty items that must be dealer. See http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=853323

if you have access to a MIG for the brake cable. Drain plug you can look for from salvage yard SL125, 185, 200 etc. Air filter from other outlets like TT, cycle gear or others. Take the petcock appart and try to clean it, inspect the gaskets, and order as appropriate.

3. Cosmetically, rear fender, side cover, seat cover, grips, and eventually a paint job as the frames a little rusty. Don't do any cosmetics until you get the mechanical stuff going. Its easy to get sidetracked. I still haven't finished my 83 XR200 project. I just have other bikes I can ride.

Thanks for the quick reply. Yeah, I wasn't planning on messing with plastics until its running. Also, I'm not sure what one of the parts I was given is... The PO said its like a CDI.... Its a little metal case with mounting holes on each end with a couple wires leading to a connector coming out of it. Hard to describe but maybe someone will know what I'm talking about.

As far as a welder, well I bought a rinky dink harbor freight 90 amp flux core for little projects and would consider myself a decent welder, decent enough to handle little repairs and a mini bike frame from scratch.. Would that be fine or should I just go for a new cable?

Thanks again

Check this out:

http://www.bikebandit.com/houseofmotorcycles/1994-honda-xr200r/o/m3041#sch94195

Its either the regulator for the lights or the CDI.

Depends on where its mounted. I think the CDI goes up near the steering head, is plastic covered, and the regulator is under the tank or farther back and metal.

As far as the welder, get some scrap and practice. Get some old bicycle cables from a bike shop that are thrown away to test on. I think it would work, but mine is MIG so I don't have to clean it up. With a flux core rod, you have to clean the work after completed. So with a Dremel wire brush or drill mounted, clean it up and check the tightness after completed.

I use ".030 dia. wire, so is yours that small, or larger? Larger wire would make it more difficult since it would take more heat to complete the weld. Good luck

Well after recalling that the PO said he had multiple bikes and grabbed all the parts he had for the bike from his parents house in another town, I've come to the conclusion that the piece I'm talking about doesn't even go to this bike. I didn't see it in any of the parts diagrams. It's a little metal encased servo of sorts with a cable coming out that swivels a knob and a wire cluster/connector on the other end.

Yes the wire I'm using is .030

And does anyone know where I could order say a package with all the engine mounting hardware or do I have to do it the old fashioned way and order every bolt and nut separately? I don't mind if it's used. Also my seats a bit torn and noticed that stock seat covers are pretty pricey for what they are.. Anyone know of any seat covers for the XR stock foam that aren't $50 or $60? Thanks again guys.