Sign in to follow this  

Battery questions..

Just brought my 250x home thurs night. When I meet the guy to pick up the bike it had a hard time starting. I pulled the choke out and it wouldn't start. He got on it and finally got it started because he pushed the choke back in. Is this normal? I put the battery on the charger all last night. Went out there today and the charger said it was still charging. Tried to start it and after about 2mins of tryn, it went dead. I tried it with the choke on, it wouldn't start, I turned the choke off and it started for a sec a few x, but wouldn't stay started. Whats up with that? So now, I'm changing the oil, oil filter, cleaned air filter, changed plug (NGK Indium), new radiator fluid, and pressure washed the bike (airbox included). Is my battery bad since it won't charge all the way, so a weak battery won't hardly start a bike? Whats with the choke?:lol:

It sounds like your battery is shot. That would cause it not to turn over fast enough to start. I don't know about the choke.

When you get a battery, get the Shorai or Ballistic battery. It's a lot lighter, and holds a charge for a lot longer. As to which one of the aforementioned batteries, I'm not sure. I haven't seen much out there regarding the Ballistic battery. Maybe someone can chime in on it.

Also, while giving your bike the once over, be sure to check your valves! We just had to replace the valves on our 250X recently.

Great thanks I will. I haven't ever check valves as this is my 3rd thumper, this year, ever.. Always had 2strokes. I think I finally found the bike I'm really comfortable on and can ride to my full potential! I did feel the infamous bog though.... Seems like some jetting could do away with that!

Battery wouldn't hold a charge, so I'm gonna replace it. It kick starts right up in 2 kicks ice cold...

Check out www.Impactbattery.com or www.batterystuff.com.

Both sites have a 130cc amp AGM battery for around $50.00. I bought one a year and a half ago and it has not failed me yet. The battery is made for the 450X but it fits just fine and the extra cold cranking amps fire my 250X much easier than the stock 70CCA battery. The Shorai is a great battery but its was way to expensive for my budget.

Check out www.Impactbattery.com or www.batterystuff.com.

Both sites have a 130cc amp AGM battery for around $50.00. I bought one a year and a half ago and it has not failed me yet. The battery is made for the 450X but it fits just fine and the extra cold cranking amps fire my 250X much easier than the stock 70CCA battery. The Shorai is a great battery but its was way to expensive for my budget.

Thanks man, I'll check that out. I was gonna buy one of those $100 batteries that are up to 10# lighter, I figured that one wouldn't let me down and saves weight. But if you have $50 one thats done just as good, I'm gonna jump on that!:lol:

Buy a cheap $20 battery tender from Walmart and plug it in during the off-season its a great thing always having a fully charged battery!!! It works on literaly everything!!!

X2 good deal

Buy a cheap $20 battery tender from Walmart and plug it in during the off-season its a great thing always having a fully charged battery!!! It works on literaly everything!!!

So whats the best battery for the buck?! I didn't wanna spend a bill, but those $50 ones sound about my speed.. a $20 battery from walmart, i dunno, i like to put all the good stuff on my bike!! That one gonnna work just as good in 20 degree weather this winter?!