Sign in to follow this  

SX-F 250 2012 to finish last in MXA shootout :-(

Not good news... I think MXA is the most trustworthy magazine and I pay a lot of attention to the things they write. I might not agree, but they know what they are working with.

In this years shootout the Katoom ended dead-last without a doubt. What MXA hated about the bike: Lack of power (4 hp less than the Kawa...), the massive weight (231 pounds compared to the Kawa 224 pounds) and the suspension. Offcourse they loved the brakes and clutch.

Disappointing...

It seams that lately MXA tends to really over exaggerate the differences between the bikes. They will talk about how awesome the engine on one bike is and then totally rip on the next one for being an underpowered dog. The reality is that there might be a one horse difference between the two. Maybe a pro rider could tell, but most normal dudes probably couldn't.

I would bet that if MXA didn't put all the 250F's on a scale, they couldn't accurately tell us which bike was lighter. I mean we're talking less than 3% difference in weight on a bike that weighs 230 plus pounds, don't tell me their "seat of the pants" can tell.

That being said, I usually agree with MXA on most bike evaluations. It just seems lately they push the differences in bikes as being a huge deal.

If I remember right, KTM used to have the most powerful 250f engines a couple of years ago ? What has happened ?

It seams that lately MXA tends to really over exaggerate the differences between the bikes. They will talk about how awesome the engine on one bike is and then totally rip on the next one for being an underpowered dog. The reality is that there might be a one horse difference between the two. Maybe a pro rider could tell, but most normal dudes probably couldn't.

I would bet that if MXA didn't put all the 250F's on a scale, they couldn't accurately tell us which bike was lighter. I mean we're talking less than 3% difference in weight on a bike that weighs 230 plus pounds, don't tell me their "seat of the pants" can tell.

That being said, I usually agree with MXA on most bike evaluations. It just seems lately they push the differences in bikes as being a huge deal.

According to my taste, they are too focused on power. You often see MX1 and MX2-riders ride at the same speed, even though the bigger bike has a big horsepower advantage. I feel pretty sure that for 98 % off all mx-riders 2hp difference has nothing to say. Furthermore the power can be increased with an aftermarked exhaust and maybe some mapping.

The KTM got 17 points (5 point for a 5. place, 1 point for a first), Kawasaki got 14 point and the Suzuki on 2. place got 20 points?! Strange.

I hope people read the test and not only the scoring and choose the bike that match their liking. I would still choose the KTM: Great reliability, best brakes, best clutch, electric start. Fit an Antigravity Battery (to shave off pounds), fit an exhaust and had the suspension dialed in and it would be perfect. Easy fix :-)

If I remember right, KTM used to have the most powerful 250f engines a couple of years ago ? What has happened ?

Yes. They fitted EFI and they tried to make the engine more usable. In 2010 it was nothing, nothing, ALL as the RPM progressed, now it is more linear. But likely too soft for MXA-taste :-) What I also think happened is that they made the bike AMA and FIM legal. Sometimes it might steel a pony or two if you turn the noise down. But it is real stupid to gain two hp because of a noisy exhaust and then get penalized after the race :-)

yeah i was a bit sad when they hated on it but when i lapped my both my friends twice because they stalled in a corner and couldnt get there bike started i must say i was pretty happy with my extra weight it gained with the starter.

I came off a 08 yzf that had mild port job,williams works cams , full fmf 4.1 with mega bomb, tubless tyres and revalved suspension.My stock 12 250sxf still pulls harder. I do admit it does have a little less torque off bottom but i solved this by learning to rev it a little harder and bliping the clutch a little , Motor loves RPMs revs way further than my yzf. Ive only just put 4.1 hours on the bike and love it. My only mods i think ill do so far are add another tooth on the rear , map switch and dial in suspension as it can be a little harsh at times but im just breaking her in and will reasses at 10hrs.

as far as what the mags rate as the best bikes i think alot of it comes down to what the rider likes, i remember when they use to rate the yamaha's top almost every year but i did not like yamaha's they just felt weird to me and im just your average junior rider (UK)

my buddy is a pro rider and just got a 12 honda 450 that came last in there shoot out but he likes hondas. a few pounds here or there, couple of hp difference blah blah blah

if you feel good on the bike thats what counts in my opinion i do read the mags and take note more on the handling than anything else

a few pounds here or there, couple of hp difference blah blah blah if you feel good on the bike thats what counts in my opinion i do read the mags and take note more on the handling than anything else

You might be right, but one part I like so much about the KTMs are the quality. In our team we rode Hondas but then switched to KTMs and I bet you, by the end of the season the KTMs are far more "fresh" than the Hondas. After 70 hours the 450's were very tired. Now the KTMs have the same figure on the hourmeter and are ready for the next season :-)

It is ridiculious to listen to the magazines. What works for you may not work for someone else. I find MXA the worst magazine. Their gross exagerations of very small issues are annoying. There all great bikes. They are on a huge kawasaki high currently. Ive ridden almost all the 250f's. The engine is good on the kawi but i hate the geometry of the front end. And honestly look at their testing staff compared to other mags. Big big difference. I hate how skeptical they are. I would by racerx or transworld any day over them.

I am VERY sceptical at magazine tests anyway. Just look at how many commercial adds you see in them...do you think they will hurt a companys feelings if they put full page ads?? Are you kidding me? After all - that's where the money comes from. So always take such comments with a grain of salt.

And regarding the 7 lbs weight penalty: next time your competition stalls their engine in a corner think about it...you will be gone in seconds if that happens on KTM.

Other 2 lbs might be hidden in inner tubes where KTM might have heavy duty ones and the Japs cheap, thin ones etcetc...

And over 2 lbs can be "regained" by going with a lightweight battery.

I've had more conspiracy theories involving MXA than anyone else on here but I think they were being very fair here. You couldn't give me a 250F that weighs that much and I can definitely tell the difference. And, 4hp? That's a lot of power to give up to their competitors. As they mentioned KTM is going in the wrong direction and hopefully this will be a wake up call...

I am VERY sceptical at magazine tests anyway. Just look at how many commercial adds you see in them...do you think they will hurt a companys feelings if they put full page ads?? Are you kidding me? After all - that's where the money comes from. So always take such comments with a grain of salt.

And regarding the 7 lbs weight penalty: next time your competition stalls their engine in a corner think about it...you will be gone in seconds if that happens on KTM.

Other 2 lbs might be hidden in inner tubes where KTM might have heavy duty ones and the Japs cheap, thin ones etcetc...

And over 2 lbs can be "regained" by going with a lightweight battery.

theres also a thread somewhere about the weight of tires. I agree specially for me as a shorter rider, its hard to kick the bikes when you can barely reach the ground. Plus racing your usually tired and have almost no energy to be kicking it.

I've had more conspiracy theories involving MXA than anyone else on here but I think they were being very fair here. You couldn't give me a 250F that weighs that much and I can definitely tell the difference. And, 4hp? That's a lot of power to give up to their competitors. As they mentioned KTM is going in the wrong direction and hopefully this will be a wake up call...

In another mag they said the zook weighed 237? and said it was the lightest feeling out of the bunch, best handling everything. (im talking 2011 shootout) the yamaha weighed 230 and said the handling was weird and it just felt heavy.

The only time they could tell the zook was heavier when picking it up or putting it on a stand

In another mag they said the zook weighed 237? and said it was the lightest feeling out of the bunch, best handling everything. (im talking 2011 shootout) the yamaha weighed 230 and said the handling was weird and it just felt heavy.

The only time they could tell the zook was heavier when picking it up or putting it on a stand

That's wet weight (with gas). All the Jap bikes with FI have gained about 3-4 lbs and are at about 222-224 lbs (without gas). Considering that they have 4-5 more hp then they had several years ago stock, the weight gain is to me not a show stopper. But, for KTM's 250F to gain 15 lbs and have 3-4 less hp loses me as a customer...

All that means is that KTM spent the least ad dollars with MXA in teh last year. No worries. :lol:

I tried to read the separate 2012 kawi article and sound like they have no idea what they are talking about when they praise the kawi. Sound like marketing hype out of advertisement. There's some truth to it though, single cylinder engines in dirt bikes have plenty of unused potential, to use all of it you'll need two injectors like sports bikes and tuned intake tunnel and exhaust. So far no-one has made their 250's as powerful as possible, ride a 600cc sportsbike and you'll know why.

All that means is that KTM spent the least ad dollars with MXA in teh last year. No worries. :lol:

no, the SXF turned into a slug with EFI. The earlier SXF's run much better (better intake tract and carb works better), plus in the case of the 05 and 06 SXF's they weigh under 220 lbs. My sons 06 feels so much lighter than the new bikes and quite frankly the 11' SXF i rode was a dog, I mean just a pleasant/not fast by any means dog. Handled great, but not fast. With the other bikes making 3-4hp more, it is a no brainer. KTM did the same thing yamaha did years ago to its 90-91 YZ 125's...great chassis and suspension with a slug of an engine. The KTM has always been soft on the low end, but it made up for it with that howling top end, now with the 11 and 12 it lost that. So you have an engine that isnt particularly great down low, sluggish mid to top and weak top end numbers to boot. In the small bore class, that means no bueno for sales.

And yes, the KTM is a porker now. The big draw for me to the early SXF's was the low weight. Not so anymore

You might be right, but one part I like so much about the KTMs are the quality. In our team we rode Hondas but then switched to KTMs and I bet you, by the end of the season the KTMs are far more "fresh" than the Hondas. After 70 hours the 450's were very tired. Now the KTMs have the same figure on the hourmeter and are ready for the next season :-)

I´m surprised on your thoughts about that !

I truly feel it´s the other way around....but hey !....i´m not a team owner. Just my personal opinion.

Edited by HRC
spelt wrong

The newest KTM 250F is heavy and slow.

I've ridden a buddies '08 and it's an awesome little bike though.

And I don't accidentally stall my engine. Heck I only stall in like 1/2 of my crashes.

If I was racing for million dollar bonuses in the AMA then I'd want the electric starter. But for Amateur racing and the occasional stall that simply hasn't happened to me in years it doesn't matter. And Amateur races are too short to ever recover from a crash anyways.