Sign in to follow this  

Florida Croom ride report December 3rd

Headed to Croom early this morning with the thought of doing some exploring.

I arrived at the gate at the usual time (a few minutes after 7), and I was surprised to find out they don't open up until 8 this time of year. No worries as someone arrived early, and by 7:40 I was parked at the Last Hammock area.

Once geared up I headed behind my truck to play on some hills, and I found some new stuff I had never been on. I managed to keep it on two wheels in the technical stuff. After playing for awhile I headed North. After about a half hour I found another set of pits and hills I had never played on before. It was a blast and I had the place to myself. After a few minutes I continued onward zig-zagging over some tight single track stuff. I was amazed at the variety of landscape I found. After about an 90 minutes of exploring I made a quick B-line back to the truck.

After a 30 minute rest I decided I really wanted to focus on cornering in the sand. I found a nice loop/trail, and soon I was on my arse. My front end is like a pogo stick. This week I will find someone to do my suspension. At HP I was bottoming the front in places.

Throughout the day I kept focusing on body position and rhythm. I think I've found a decent spot to finally work from. However today in total I ate it 4 times. That's more than I've been down in 4 months combined!!! I stuck the front good a few times, and once endo'd over the front. The good news is I never hit my toe. My doc would kill me if he knew I was out there. I cannot stop plowing the front. On my CRF I never had that problem. However the CRF had major suspension work.

I need some recommendations for suspension setup/work. My CRF that I bought used was done by Pro Action. I'd like to here what the group recommends.

Also what would all these stories be without video. I think I got at least two of my crashes on video. Embarrassing...:lol:

Seems like many people around here use TF Racing for their suspension work. I had Doug Harvey tune the suspension of my WR250F, and my 350 XC-F, and have been very happy. His shop is in Deland. Doug comes to all FTR races, and I wanted to support someone who supports FTR. Plus, having him there to make adjustments and fix any race day issues is a bonus. Happy to answer specifics.

Jay,

The 300 is way too soft on the front stock. The first thing Tom Fleming did was change the front springs for me. I was bottoming the stock forks easily on small MX sections. DonO will also relate to how much quicker a KTM turns than a CRF. The shorter wheelbase and different head/fork angles make for a bike that is very responsive in the tight singletrack but can "bite" you in the sandy turns. My first KTM was a 450 XCW and I was "knifing" in a lot in the sand turns. I finally figured it out (along with a suspension set up) and found that I had to be on the gas entering the turn and not "coasting". I would give it just enough throttle to keep the front end from diving too much and then hard on the throttle once I reached the apex. The trick is to keep the front from riding way down in the stroke when you are at the sharpest point of the turn. It is a fine line between a nice quick turn and knifing in but once you find that "place" it will all come together.

Mark C

I'm going to give Tom a call. He's pretty close to me.

You hit the nail on the head. I'm knifing in corners, and bottoming out on even small jumps.

Awesome ride report thanks for sharing :lol:

Do they require a title for your bike your first visit? I really want to ride their but unfortunately we do not have titles for any of our bikes. I read somewhere that a title was necessary for park entry?

Jay,

I believe your issue is speed, You gotta keep the speed up in the soft stuff or else the "twitchtness" of the KTM front ends will nose dive in. I can take the CRF in the same stuff and not have to carry the same speed as with my KTM.

As much as I hate to say this, I may have to have the suspension done on the 350. I have "never" had to have suspension work on any bike I've owned, (I know, isn't that shocking:smirk:seeing how I'm such a great rider:bonk::lol:), I just learned what the bike does, how it reacts in situations and compensated by bike and physical adjustments.

Don:thumbsup:

btw, Croom always opens at 0800 (just sometimes a ranger gets there a little earlier)

As much as I hate to say this, I may have to have the suspension done on the 350. I have "never" had to have suspension work on any bike I've owned, (I know, isn't that shocking:smirk:seeing how I'm such a great rider:bonk::lol:), I just learned what the bike does, how it reacts in situations and compensated by bike and physical adjustments.

Don:thumbsup:

I'm the same way Don. I had my suspension done once on my KTM300 by a nationally renowned company and $800.00 later I couldn't tell ANY difference. The Berg; I haven't even touched the clickers.

I'm the same way Don. I had my suspension done once on my KTM300 by a nationally renowned company and $800.00 later I couldn't tell ANY difference. The Berg; I haven't even touched the clickers.

You have the skills to make up for it.:lol:

At HP I was bottoming out. Yeah, I know I need to go on a diet. However when your a giraffe you can only loose some much weight.

I would just get springs front and rear and go from there.

Plan a trip to Highland Park, they can do it in a few hours. Plus they have all the parts in stock!

Use the savings to pay for the trip!!

You have the skills to make up for it.:lol:

At HP I was bottoming out. Yeah, I know I need to go on a diet. However when your a giraffe you can only loose some much weight.

I've got an almost unused set of 4.6 fork springs from a '06 SX 450, if it'll help you out. Assuming they'll fit, of course. They were too stiff for me, I dropped back to 4.4 in order to be able to set my sag correctly. (I'm about 200 lb with gear and pretty much stick to trail riding)

They're just sitting on the shelf in my shed collecting dust, so you're welcome to try them.

RB

I would just get springs front and rear and go from there.

Plan a trip to Highland Park, they can do it in a few hours. Plus they have all the parts in stock!

Use the savings to pay for the trip!!

Spoken like someone who would bail on the Tough Mudder!!

Sorry that had nothing to do with the post just had to get a jab in. :lol:

Spoken like someone who would bail on the Tough Mudder!!

Sorry that had nothing to do with the post just had to get a jab in. :lol:

I rode the Hare Scramble in Myattka.......just got the new bike, had a fever to ride!! It's an illness :banghead:

If you keep this nonsense up.....

...I'm posting vids of someone falling......just sayin! :)

Ahem...

Back to Jay's issue.

You should race Brooksville! Come out of retirement :lol:

Oh, in case anyone is interested......Flexx replaced my bars at no charge!!! Awesome people!

That's great they replaced them for free! I am sure they did not want that picture posted on the internet! :banghead:

Scott/DonO - I think that once you have the bike sprung for your weight and the sag set correctly (especially KTM's). Then it becomes harder to determine what is a fault of the suspension or riding style. I had the suspension on 2 bikes done and can say that getting the correct springs and sag did make a noticeable difference. After that I simply cannot tell much difference with valving/etc... I have "played" with the clickers and though I think I feel a difference it might be more "mental" than real. I am sure top level racers can provide the proper feedback to help a suspension expert "dial it in" to their liking. Everyone has a different "feel" they like and what might be "right" for one guy does not work for someone else. I heard that Stewart likes his bikes so "stiff" that most people would not even ride it.

The type of terrain you race on also make a difference and the top teams will "tweak" the suspension based on the terrain characteristics. Us mere mortals have to work with something that has a much wider range of capability thus becoming somewhat of a compromise.

Brooksville! :lol::thumbsup::)

Mark C

That's great they replaced them for free! I am sure they did not want that picture posted on the internet! :banghead:

Scott/DonO - I think that once you have the bike sprung for your weight and the sag set correctly (especially KTM's). Then it becomes harder to determine what is a fault of the suspension or riding style. I had the suspension on 2 bikes done and can say that getting the correct springs and sag did make a noticeable difference. After that I simply cannot tell much difference with valving/etc... I have "played" with the clickers and though I think I feel a difference it might be more "mental" than real. I am sure top level racers can provide the proper feedback to help a suspension expert "dial it in" to their liking. Everyone has a different "feel" they like and what might be "right" for one guy does not work for someone else. I heard that Stewart likes his bikes so "stiff" that most people would not even ride it.

The type of terrain you race on also make a difference and the top teams will "tweak" the suspension based on the terrain characteristics. Us mere mortals have to work with something that has a much wider range of capability thus becoming somewhat of a compromise.

Brooksville! :lol::thumbsup::)

Mark C

I've always done the suspension on my street bikes, but that was my game.

My size I do believe has a lot to do with it. Bottoming out on small jumps does tell me the suspension does need work.

I realize however until I had some flashy stickers, change the muffler bearings, and put the KTM in pro racer mode I'll continue to be a turtle on the trails.

Oh, in case anyone is interested......Flexx replaced my bars at no charge!!! Awesome people!

That's excellent!

You should race Brooksville! Come out of retirement :lol:

Oh, in case anyone is interested......Flexx replaced my bars at no charge!!!

Awesome people!

I still can't believe you made it out of the trail. That's f'in awesome news Brother.