Sign in to follow this  

will not shift out of 2nd gear

I was coming through a berm and went to shift from 2nd and the shifter went loose and it will not go up or down now, just stuck in 2nd gear:banghead:, the shifter just feels free almost, suggestions?

Just take the case off the right side of the engine, and pull the clutch basket. At that point you should be able to see the entire shift mechanism. Its not rocket science.

Noticed oil leaking from behind the front sprocket this morning, could this have something to do with it or maybe just the seal gone? Im new to the maintenance thing, but with the economy Im forced to do my own repairs.

As Shawn mentioned,

Get a right side case gasket so when you remove the right side case cover, you'll have a new one. Lay the bike on its left side and remove the kickstarter and the right side case cover. You can do this without draining the oil or the coolant, just be careful and have some paper towels handy. Once off, inspect the shift shaft and I'm sure you'll find the problem. It's a pretty robust mechanism so it should be obvious. Note: I had the small 'collar' that is supposed to be on the post of the ratchet mechanism come off once; just something to check...hope this helps