Sign in to follow this  

Traction on hills

Guys, I ride the same trails all the time and previously rode a Honda 250x. I absolutely love climbing hills but I have absolutely NO grip with the rear tire on my 300 xc. It is spinning just way too much. The bike was previously set up for a 265 lb rider (apparently revalved and resprung) and I put the original springs back on it. I weigh about 205 without gear. I am running about 12 lbs in the front and rear tires. Any advice appreciated.

Dunlop mx51 has the best rear traction of any rear tire, on a 300 its all about throttle control. Also the rear shock has a lot to do with rear traction make sure you set your sag and are sprung for your weight.

it's not about the tire at this point, unless your other settings are dialed in. Also, it takes a different technique than a 4 stroke.

PV adjustment, jetting, to start. The stock springs are too light for you, that is not helping. You nee a heavier spring to help force the tire to the ground. If comp and reb damping are off, traction will suffer as well.

Also on a 300 it's very is to cause your problems with the throttle, too much too late. Carry as much speed as you can and be easy on the throttle. Adjusting the power valve can help.

You have to either don't spin the tire or light it up and dig a trench over the top.

Also on a 300 it's very is to cause your problems with the throttle, too much too late. Carry as much speed as you can and be easy on the throttle. Adjusting the power valve can help.

You have to either don't spin the tire or light it up and dig a trench over the top.

Put in the green power valve spring and disconnect the gray wire under the tank to access the soft map. Jet your carb a little rich to soften things up a bit more.

Me on my 06 300 right after I bought it, racing a HS. This is up a climb, coming off a WR 250F. I couldn't believe I rode a wheelie all the way up this hill. Just kept in the meat of the power to keep the front tire just off the ground. Green spring, 2 turns in is where I ran mine most of the time.

Trials tires make quick work of hills of well.

Flat_Rock_4160.jpg

Lots of tweaks to be made to help. Trials tires, as suggested and experiment with the power valve to help. Be willing to spend some time testing with the power valve, soften it up too much for the hills you may not like it on other areas. Look for a happy medium there. Agree the soft map/gray wire is an easy try, but most responders say they don't notice much difference unless jetting is spot on. If the soft map gets you there, then a handlebar switch for it would be a wise investment. Also might consider a G2 throttle cam system to give a little more control of your throttle inputs on hills, lots of good feedback on them.

How about just learning to cover the clutch better. Your 300 produces nearly twice the torque as a 250x. All the other suggestions are great but maybe its not the bike, maybe its you!

How about just learning to cover the clutch better. Your 300 produces nearly twice the torque as a 250x. All the other suggestions are great but maybe its not the bike, maybe its you!

The anatomy of the hill might help. Long, steep and a jillion roots in black dirt. On the 4 stroke I normally could just keep the front tire light and just barely bump the roots, but I am not getting enough bite with the rear tire to keep the front light. I am taking enough speed into the hill, it just wants to spin and not grip the dirt. I am sliding all over the place on the downhills as well.

Well, I'm going guess its mostly suspension settings and you. I'd start with setting the sag, download a setup guide and get the clickers set. A suspension guy will set it for you cheap, like 20-50 bucks. If you can't get it right buy springs and revalve. Other than that get used to the power.

I can climb and go over shit I never could on my 250F.

Dare I say it... Rekluse. I never thought I would really benefit from one untill I got a wild hair to throw it in the bike. No reason not to have it now. Rekluse and e start have made me lazy in my old age of 25.

What tires, are you running and what condition are they in? As said previously shift up and cover the clutch. The 300 makes so much power when it is in the powerband that if you try riding uphill in the meat of the band it will spin the tire every time. There is a good chance that there is too much rebound damping in the rear shock to deal with the previous owners rear spring. Try turning the rebound clicker way out and see if it helps.

Drop your rear tire pressure below 9 psi.

+1

I used to ride at 10psi in the rear tire, then 8, now 6 with heavy duty tubes. It makes a world of difference. try different setting front and rear, you might be surprised. I use 6 in the rear and 8 in the front.

What tires, are you running and what condition are they in? As said previously shift up and cover the clutch. The 300 makes so much power when it is in the powerband that if you try riding uphill in the meat of the band it will spin the tire every time. There is a good chance that there is too much rebound damping in the rear shock to deal with the previous owners rear spring. Try turning the rebound clicker way out and see if it helps.

+1, tire condition, dampening, getting use to a 50hp beast! :)

Ohh and for those people who run super low pressures... I gotta say, you risk destroying a tube when you do that. Yes, they make heavy duty tubes and all, but the risk is still there. I've burned through HD tubes running 10 psi because if you're constantly spinning the tire, it will literally start to spin the tube and the result is uncontrollable wearing. :lol:

Bill has it correct! That 300 will get up any hill.

just let it grunt a gear higher and modulate the clutch as needed