Sign in to follow this  

Air Filter cleaning question

Is it really imporant that you use 'air filter cleaner' or will any grease cutter like a dish washing liquid do the trick? i've heard conflicting reports.

Im old school and will catch flak for this but I use gas. It may shorten the life of the filter some but it sure does get it clean. Those filter cleaners just piss me off.:lol: I can have the filter spotless in about 2 minutes versus messing with that other crap

Im old school and will catch flak for this but I use gas. It may shorten the life of the filter some but it sure does get it clean. Those filter cleaners just piss me off.:lol: I can have the filter spotless in about 2 minutes versus messing with that other crap

Gas is extremely dangerous to use in this situation, dont do it. All the benefits that he describes you can get out of a jug of varsol. And varsol can be reused over and over for filter cleaning. Use it to breakdown the oil and dirt and then complete with laundry detergent and rinse with cold water. Finish the job by throwing them in the dryer which will dislodge any loose particles and dry the filter. Remember the better job you do of the washing the less nagging from the wife. Reoil as you allways do after they are dry.

DONT USE GASOLINE..................EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!

I use mineral spirits, or turpentine. Pour turp into a bucket and squeeze filter several times, then dip in as cold of water as you can get. The cold will pull the dirt off, warm water will set it. Repeat this until clean, usually just a couple times. You can usually feel when its clean. Let air dry and re-oil. You can reuse the turps by pouring it back into the jug through a coffee filter or clean rag. As long as you dont wring the filter it will last a long time.

All the benefits that he describes you can get out of a jug of varsol. And varsol can be reused over and over for filter cleaning.

What is varsol and where can you get it?

Gas is extremely dangerous to use in this situation, dont do it.

DONT USE GASOLINE..................EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!

Its only dangerous if you throw the filter back in the bike without giving it time to air dry. When I was a kid back in the 70's and 80's thats all we used. I know alota ole timers that still use this method. Let it dry for a few hours then oil and its ready to go.

+ 1 for kerosene is cheap and does works good.

No one is talking about the SECOND step in cleaning...... Washing it out with soapy water. I didn't do this, but read about it and tried it. After I tried it, I kept doing it because more dirt came out!

I personally use Mineral Spirits and then rinse off with soapy water afterwards. Works well.

this is what i do. works great, done it for years :lol:

this is what i do. works great, done it for years :lol:

Here's another vote for mineral spirits followed by soapy water.

i use diesel. it smells awful, but it's readily available and not too expensive. after getting all the old crud out with the diesel i will wash it with cold water and dawn dish soap and let it dry.

Dish soap works fine.

The air filter cleaner does work well, but it's a lot more work to use than just dish soap in a bucket of hot water (But it does a better job).

Dish soap's a lot cheaper than the filter cleaner too.

no toil gets the filter clean instantly just like gas/kero and other petroleum based stuff.

Ok after breathing Bel-Ray cleaner fumes tonight --I have been using Bel-Ray stuff for years-- I am going to give the no toil a try. Gasoline, diesel, or kerosene although effective I am sure, just aren't worth the grief to me.

i use diesel but find that i have to wash it with soap and water like 4 more times afterwards until dirt stops coming out. definitely not the most efficient way of cleaning filters but it works.

I use gas and rinse in soapy water...been doing so almost 30yrs. That spray can stuff is expensive and a pain in the arse.

I put my filters in a oil drain pan pour about a cup of gas in and wring them out a few times, then rinse with water then put them in a soapy bucket and wring them out a few times rinse with water again and let air dry...old dirty gas then gets poured into old race gas cans and stored till it's full then taken and disposed of with old oil.