Air Filter cleaning question

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What is varsol and where can you get it?

Vasrsol is a paint thinner and you can get it at any hardware store. Not only is it infinitely safer than gas its also cheaper. DONT USE GAS!!!!!!

By the way diesel kerosene or varsol are all effective and safer than gas. I dont usually say this sort of stuff on a forum but anyone still using gasoline is a idiot. Yes its what we used to do but come on , our doctors dont smoke while they examine us any more either. Lets get smarter and safer and our filters will last longer as well. Gasoline deteriorates the glue by the way.

Edited by egoman
More needed to be said.

may cause heritable genetic damage if ingested.

Uh, I clean my filter with it not use it as mouthwash.? I know gas is toxic, dangerous, flammable and a ton of other things but compared to what humans are exposed to everyday in our food, drink, and in the workplace exposure to a small amount of gas maybe twice a month seems minor. I work construction so exposure to gas is minor compared to what I come in contact with sometimes. Think about the other things you are exposed to just working on your bike. Filter oil, motor oil, transmission fluid, chain lube, grease. All these things are toxic and you would probably die if they were ingested so who's to say long term exposure wouldn't kill you or cause cancer or birth defects. Face it, we're all screwed. Peace!

Edited by Cirus

its only dangerous if you throw the filter back in the bike without giving it time to air dry. When i was a kid back in the 70's and 80's thats all we used. I know alota ole timers that still use this method. Let it dry for a few hours then oil and its ready to go.

yes sir!

"dangerous to get on your skin for extended periods, prolonged skin exposure can lead to very nasty skin conditions developing, and the scariest, may cause heritable genetic damage if ingested.

Ha, you you not wear gloves, and sip on the stuff??

are the guys that are saying "don't use gas" saying that because of the environmental reasons or because they really think it's dangerous to put a filter cleaned with gas back in the bike too early. We really should define the argument here.

I've been cleaning foam filters with gas and oiling them with regular oil for 30 + years now and no problems to speak of.

"Well smartass, tell me whats so dangerous about it?" - Cirus

Benzene content (carcinogen), fumes irritate and can damage your eyes long-term, dangerous to get on your skin for extended periods, prolonged skin exposure can lead to very nasty skin conditions developing, and the scariest, may cause heritable genetic damage if ingested.

Then you get onto how it destroys the filter faster.

I reckon kero / soapy water is a bit safer..

Yes all this and that highly flammable thing. You arent really serious with that comment are you? "Whats so dangerous"..............WOW.

Oh by the way I also work as a journeyman pipefitter and I hear stupidity like yours all the time. OH WE ARE GOING TO "DIE" anyways so dont worry about anything.

Yes all this and that highly flammable thing. You arent really serious with that comment are you? "Whats so dangerous"..............WOW.

Oh by the way I also work as a journeyman pipefitter and I hear stupidity like yours all the time. OH WE ARE GOING TO "DIE" anyways so dont worry about anything.

Wow, Classy...

I use gas then rinse with water. Never had a filter come unglued or deteriorate. I also sometimes leave my truck running when I get gas..... Seems I'm some type of dare devil.

OK, sure, you guys are all invincible, sorry for intruding with my frail mortality, I'll go skull some diesel now, cuz ****it, we're all going to die anyway right?

I'm not saying I drink petrol either, and it's not helpful to heap ridicule upon the facts, because that doesn't help anyone act safer with chemicals.

Kerosene is a useful cleaner for lots a stuff, including air filters and chain/sprockets...

+1!

I keep a 2 gal bucket w/ kerosene to get the filter oil out. Then wash with dish soap and warm water. Dry overnight and your ready to re-oil.

I also keep a small tupperware on my workbench w/ kerosene and a tooth brush inside. Great for cleaning parts.

you are crazy if u are not using no toil just throw in the wash or a sink full of warm water and washing powder no mess no fumes no fuss

I sucked sand through a new filter treated with No-Toil. First time in 40 years of riding that it's happened to me. I'll stick with a petroleum oil like Belray or Maxima.

I sucked sand through a new filter treated with No-Toil. First time in 40 years of riding that it's happened to me. I'll stick with a petroleum oil like Belray or Maxima.

If I were to use Maxima again, I would just buy the $9 pre-oiled ones. The stuff is such a pain to clean. FFT is so wonderful it is nearly impossible to get the dirt OUT of the filter. I'm using No-Toil for now because I like my filters to come clean. When they are about ready to be tossed, I'll oil them with Maxima to seal their fate.

I mix some oxi-clean in enough water to completely cover the filter in a 5 gallon bucket....I soak it usually while I pressure wash my bike and clean it, rinse with water a few times and it's clean. When I raced karts we always used clothes washing detergent and water. Somebody inform me if this will harm my filter.