Sign in to follow this  

really let down by Hammerhead designs.

a couple months ago i bought a hammerhead knurled +20W shifter for my 2007 kx250f. put it on november 7th or 8th for that weekends race. worked good and i liked the feel, although the finish was already turning silver a little after the one race i was happy. went riding one time after that about a week later i went to practice at a local track, about half a lap in i fell. no big deal its deep sand and i was getting used to it, i didn't fall hard but was out of breath so decided to get get a drink at the truck and go back out, as i go to get back on my bike i notice my shifter was folded in and i just though it must of been stuck with dirt. the spring had popped loose when it folded in when the bike fell i guess. after going out and buying a special c-clip tool to get the super small c clip off i reassemble it with the spring back in. i fold it in one time to check the rebound and it was good, my dad comes over and pushes the tip against the arm and the spring popped out. whenever the shifter folds in 100% it pops out now and will just sit there and not rebound. not to mention rewinding the spring 4 times stretched the puny c-clip and i had to squeeze it to bend it back. i emailed hammerhead, 1 week no reply. so my dad called them tuesday morning early, and left a message because it was not business hours and no reply in 5 days so far. i was disappointed in the quality of the product and the lack of customer service is a let down. so now i will probably put my stock shifter back on now or get a different brand and have to deal with the shortness, i bought the hammerhead because i have size 15 feet and was uncomfortable, at this point i have lost 2 weeks of riding in the last month of riding time until the snow comes hard. i would of rather had a hard time shifting then not be able to ride. after this its a let down and i dont think ill buy anything from them again.

If I were you I would call them back during work hours. I'm sure there would be a new spring and C clip in the mail the same day.

If I were you I would call them back during work hours. I'm sure there would be a new spring and C clip in the mail the same day.

the spring is fine and i found a replacement clip in my parts bin. its the placement of where the spring is for some reason pops out when fully compressed. the spring itself is good and not bent. and time is a big factor, i have lose the last 2 weeks of good riding in my area and now its in the 40's getting colder, the next 2 weeks are miserable riding then none at all till march. most likely ill be getting a outlaw shifter at my local place tomorrow.

Can you dremel a notch somewhere to kinda make a deeper seat?

my dad said something like that could work, ill take the shifter off again tomorrow and look at the design and see if it would allow it. where the spring sits against the tip is like a flat wall and it slips over the wall, i think if they could of having a lip on top would of helped. ill test out the dremel idea. thanks

my dad said something like that could work, ill take the shifter off again tomorrow and look at the design and see if it would allow it. where the spring sits against the tip is like a flat wall and it slips over the wall, i think if they could of having a lip on top would of helped. ill test out the dremel idea. thanks

no problem. I too have the hammerhead shifter but this hasnt happened to mine, but you've got me thinkin. I might be cuttin a deeper seat just for a preemptive measure.