Sign in to follow this  

What Do I Do Next?? Pics

Hey guys,

Bike's a 2000, yz250, 46mm open chamber forks.

I'm waiting for my Smart Performance del taco kit, this is my first time going past changing seal on a fork.

I have the tubes apart and the damper body (I believe that's what it's called, see pics) out of the bottom fork leg.

Now I'm stuck where to go next to get the rest of it apart. I had it revalved by a local tuner, so I expected to see some tool marks and be able to tell where to go next.

I've seen the threads about drilling the factory peens off, but I assumed that was closed chamber forks only.

The photos show where I'm at, if you could guide me what I need to do next, that would be appreciated.

Thanks all.

2011-12-03175836.jpg

2011-12-03175818.jpg

From the picture it looks like it has not been taken apart before. The top threads off. In order to do that you need to buy or make a tool. The MX-tech web site should have good info. on getting it apart. If you can't find it check back.

• Like 1

Here ya go.

Some drilling required and you need some shaft blocks to hold the tube.

http://mx-tech.com/downloads/2832125_valve_installation.doc

Thank you sir. After posting this I figured out I needed to drill those, but my standard HSS drill has to much of a point on it for me. Time to pick up an end mill.

I believe Dave J provides a pin for the end to pin it in a vise to unthread the cylinder valve after the peening is removed. Are the shaft blocks designed to do the same?

Knock the spring seat ring off the cylinder valve. Lay the cartridge on a flat surface and tap the area that is peened with a hammer. Roll & tap. With cartridge upside-down clamp across end of X shape on CV in vise. Insert rod through holes at BV end. Heat area around peened end. Unthread cartridge tube. You will need to work it loose/tight while alternating heat/spray lube.

• Like 1

Knock the spring seat ring off the cylinder valve. Lay the cartridge on a flat surface and tap the area that is peened with a hammer. Roll & tap. With cartridge upside-down clamp across end of X shape on CV in vise. Insert rod through holes at BV end. Heat area around peened end. Unthread cartridge tube. You will need to work it loose/tight while alternating heat/spray lube.

Thank you :lol:

I haven't had a chance to pick up an end mill to drill those peens yet, but thanks for the appropriate method!

Thank you :lol:

I haven't had a chance to pick up an end mill to drill those peens yet, but thanks for the appropriate method!

I'm sure someone will post bitching about beating on their suspension parts with a hammer...but it works. Just don't rush when unscrewing. Unscrew a turn or so, tap/heat, re-tighten, unscrew, tap/heat, etc. It should come apart fairly easy after the the first full turn or so though.

I'm sure someone will post bitching about beating on their suspension parts with a hammer...but it works. Just don't rush when unscrewing. Unscrew a turn or so, tap/heat, re-tighten, unscrew, tap/heat, etc. It should come apart fairly easy after the the first full turn or so though.

X 2 and to be real honest I personally haven't drilled any of those peens before removing in years, but don't tell anyone cuz THEY say you should so therefore I'm not telling anyone else not to drill 'em.....:lol:

doc

• Like 1

X 2 and to be real honest I personally haven't drilled any of those peens before removing in years, but don't tell anyone cuz THEY say you should so therefore I'm not telling anyone else not to drill 'em.....:lol:

doc

Well I've already drilled them a bit with a standard HSS bit.

Do you guys drill out the peen out once the CV is out for easier installation/future openings?

doc

Same here

Hard rubber mallet does the trick. But I wont say anything either

Thank you sir. After posting this I figured out I needed to drill those, but my standard HSS drill has to much of a point on it for me. Time to pick up an end mill.

I believe Dave J provides a pin for the end to pin it in a vise to unthread the cylinder valve after the peening is removed. Are the shaft blocks designed to do the same?

That pin is for to hold the cylinder in the vise without damaging it.

You can do what lew mentioned and clamp the CV, if it slips in the vise you also can use that little pin to hold the tube and clamp that end in the vise. Use the largest cresent wrench you have to "clamp" on the CV and loosen it Clamp around the X portion of the CV. Get a stool and get on top of it where you have leverage, unless your tall. Me, I'm short I need leverage. :lol:

To add, another important step when you do the install on the MV, make sure that lower rung on the beefy Mid Valve spring snaps around the shoulder portion of the MV stem/base. It may take a few tries, but its supposed to be stationary not flopping around. :)

:lol: there are a multitude of uses for a ball-peened hammer. i whack 'em on the flat metal part of the vise, and break out the old torch. they come apart way easier than drilling those fawkin' peens. i made a cartridge holder from wood, similar to that of a fork tube holder. it works well.

or, if you've got the cartridge holder tool, clamp the tool in the vise, and put the cartridge upside down over it. you will be able to turn it with a long thin screwdriver from the other end.

Well I've already drilled them a bit with a standard HSS bit.

Do you guys drill out the peen out once the CV is out for easier installation/future openings?

Nope, if anything I will take a dremel tool and gently grind the high spot down to the threads, then a small drop of locktight to hold....

doc