Sign in to follow this  

09 CRF150F Modification Advice....

I have a 2009 big wheel CRF150F which has been heavily modified.

I've not had it terribly long, but the advantages power wise pretty much have me hanging out for more mods.

So far, we've upgraded;

Modified a 2 Brothers exhaust to fit (was for a CRF150R) with new pipes

bigger Fuel Jets

aftermarket Rev Box

removed the air cover

lowered the seat height (carved out with a gripper cover)

Zeta brake lever

fat bars

bark busters

replaced all plastics with black and put on a graphics kit

I'm fairly small, being on 5'1" and because of that we tried initially to get the bike as low as possible so I could reach the ground.

So the seat was carved out to barely anything and we even dropped the forks to get the front closer to the ground.

But with lots of riding, my riding and confidence have improved so much that I'm now a lot less freaked out by the thought of not being able to touch the ground so we are trying to find ways of making the bike a little higher now.

The aim is to get the frame a little higher as I'm getting frustrated with being on trails, and getting stuck in places I feel like I shouldn't, just because the frame is a few inches too low and the pegs dig into the ground in deeper ruts.

If it were a wee bit higher, hopefully I'll be a bit less annoyed with deep pits!

So what I would like to know, is has anyone replaced the stock 19/16 rims with 21/17 rims and can anyone tell me if they would fit the bike, even if it meant lacing my hubs up to new rims?

Just hoping someone has done it before so I'm not going to waste money on rims that won't fit.

Any thoughts welcome, as otherwise, bike is awesome and I'm loving the power the rev box,jets & exhaust added. Goes like the clappers now and it's been really fun to ride!

There are a million thing you can do to these bikes, do a little searching and you'll see. From USD forks, to 230 tops ends, rear disc brakes, etc. To raise it up you can get a lengthened shock, rear link, bigger tires, modern forks, and probably lots that I'm forgetting. It all depends on what you have to spend :lol:

We have been looking at forks, but information is hard to come by.

What forks will go on it fairly easily?

Also, any information about a rear disc upgrade would be awesome as my back brake is a shocker! I'd love to replace it!

Have popped a full size front wheel on, turns out a Suzuki wheel we had here was only different by the size of the inner bearings. So we popped the bearings out of my wheel and into the Suzuki wheel and it's bolted up perfectly!

Just trying to find a wheel for the back I can try as by looking I'm not sure if an 18 will fit, it looks like it will be super tight if it does :/

So hoping to borrow a wheel of a friends 230F to try and see is her's will fit and have clearance.

If it does I'll buy a new rear rim and lace it to my hub.

I have trouble with the pegs digging into ruts and levering the tires off the ground. I'd either look into getting a 230F, or maybe you'd need to save the cash and get an XR250. BBR does sell a linkage part that would add maybe an inch in the rear. It may give a little bit more ground clearance than stock, but like I said in another thread-- this is a problem that's inherent to the bike. Ya kinda gotta just deal with it. Maybe get a big wheeled 150R even. --L*64

With kx85 forks would the 21 inch wheel fit fine? And does the crf230F 18in wheel fit in the rear no problem? This is on a 2003 crf150f. And Im guessing I would have to use a kx125 21in front rim correct?

Raise the bike huh? Well, if you want a 230 rear wheel, you'll need a 230 swingarm (its longer). I should add that if you put a bigger wheel back there, you'll have to really change the sprockets too. A bigger rear wheel will really bog down that engine.

If you're handy enough to fab a crf150R pipe, maybe you could fab taller footpegs?

Lengthing the shock will raise the bike. One BBR spring/stock spring in the forks will raise the front end. Both together will raise the seat height by 2-3 inches easily.

Different linkage will also do it. I know a 230 linkage will lower the bike. I believe the BBR linkage will raise the seat by an inch.

Hope all that helps. I think those are your only options until you get crazy with something. Bigger wheels on a 150? Eh, I don't know. I think you'd lose a lot of power. It would be higher, but if you did that, I'd just say to get a 230.

I'm not actually wanting to raise the seat height.

Just to confuse things......

I want to raise the bottom of the FRAME from the ground, so I have more ground clearance when riding.

Thing is, I'm 5'1" and I like to be able to reach the ground, so I want the seat as low as it is, but I'm frustrated with the bottom of the frame being too close to the ground on all our rides, which gets me stuck in ruts and mudbogs because they are just too darn deep!

I now already have a 21" wheel on the front, but still the existing factory rear wheel on the back.

toneconsultant, thanks for that as that's pretty much what I needed to know.

So that tells me that I can't run a 19" on it, which I had suspected as I did think on looking that it really did look like it might be too tight. The other info is really interesting too about the wheel size changing the gearing as I hadn't thought about that.

Would I still run into issues if I go up just one size? From a 16" rear wheel to a 17" rear wheel?

The 230 is still too big for me unfortunately. The overall height of the bike is so much bigger and I'm not quite ready for that. To be honest, when I outgrow this I'll likely move to the likes of a 150R maybe over a CRF230. But I need to get more confidence with not being able to reach the ground first :lol:

I have trouble with the pegs digging into ruts and levering the tires off the ground. I'd either look into getting a 230F, or maybe you'd need to save the cash and get an XR250. BBR does sell a linkage part that would add maybe an inch in the rear. It may give a little bit more ground clearance than stock, but like I said in another thread-- this is a problem that's inherent to the bike. Ya kinda gotta just deal with it. Maybe get a big wheeled 150R even. --L*64

heh the cash isn't really the problem. It's a 2009 bike so it's not very old and anyway, I love this bike. My riding has advanced so much since I got it, it's crazy!

Right now I'm mostly really enjoying it, so just looking for ways to make a good thing, even more perfect by sorting out the little niggles.

Cost us about $1200 or more just for a set of plastics and graphics so I don't have a problem spending money on it, if it means that it looks and feels how I want it.

But I don't want to lose any power as we've spent a tonne of time and a chunk of money to get the power up to where it is! It's hugely faster than it was when I got it from the store that's for sure.

When I first got it, I could go full throttle into corners and it was quick (compared to my 2008 DRZ125) but not out of control.

Now when I go into those same corners, I can't go full throttle as I wind up either spinning out or falling off because it's losing traction too fast.

I love the differences!

$1200 for plastics!!?? Why so much? New Zealand prices?

Well-- if you did just a CR85/150R front end, and a longer shock-- you could bring the pegs up an inch or so. And the bigger wheels too. You would lose some power tho. --L*64

The plastics were a nightmare.

I didn't realise when we got the bike that the F was so different to the R. So we weren't aware that only one company did them.

I tried to get them locally to no avail, and it cost me $700NZD (or just over) to purchase direct from the US and get them shipped here.

Then it cost me another $500NZD to purchase the graphics kit, customised (with full panel cover, including the numberboard which isn't on yet as I haven't been able to source a black numberboard yet) and get that shipped to New Zealand, again from the US.

The exchange rate here was roughly double at the time, so around $350USD for plastics and about $250USD for the graphics.

Just what you have to do when you live in the butt end of nowhere. LOL

Thought I'd update this, as we're doing a bit more to it.

I'm now running a 21" front wheel and LOVE it! It hasn't seemed to have affected the power, but now I can tackle stuff my little wheel just couldn't seem to get over, at speed.

Had a great ride on the weekend, a trail last year I couldn't get over one section that this year with the big wheel it just leapt over!

Looking at a rear brake mod (see another thread) and tempted by the idea of another swingarm so I could run a bigger rear wheel than an 18" which will fit.

I've also added fat bars and another Zeta unbreakable lever....

And we just bought a cheap set of Honda pegs to fit my bike, that we are cutting up and going to attach a set of pivot pegs to, so they can bolt up to my 150F easily.