Sign in to follow this  

YZ450F or CRF450R, down to 2??

I am almost ready to purchase a newer 450. Ive narrowed it don to either a 2005 and up YZ450F or 04 and up CRF450R. Or should i get the extra $$ and get a F/I? Not going to race, ride around woods, track some. Ive owned a KX450f and got bored with it fairly quickly and rode an RMZ450 and its less than the KX. Honda has by far been the most powerful 450 Ive ever ridden, never rode a YZ450F though, heard there fast, So which is the better bike, Im 6ft4 and 190lbs.

Ruling out a KTM?

My dad has an '08 YZ450F, and it's a nice riding bike. It could ALMOST convert me. I like the suspension, but I cannot stand the size. It just feels small to me.

I have an '04 KTM 450SX, and it fits me better. I am 6'0, 195lb. I have found the Hondas and Yamahas to fit "small" to me at 6 foot.

His YZ is a smooth power delivery, but it lacks the raw snot of my KTM.

You could also just dump the little baby 450s and step up to a 525/505. That's an '01 520SX in my avatar...stock. That sucker out classed ANY 450 I ever came against. I had two or three 450 Yamaha's one time get a good bike length or more jump on me at a hare scramble (dead engine start), and before the first turn a short distance away, I was past them all.

If you are doing alot of woodsy stuff too, the KTM may be more a proper fit...

Yea I know my KX450 looked more like a 125 when i was on it. I like the KTM 450, Ive rode an 02 ktm525 n it wasnt anything on the kx450, maybe the new ones are better, it was more of a trrail bike. Never heard of the 520? Thanks'

Lets just say dads YZ450 is the only bike so far that I have been able to just jump on and do everything jump wise I normally do. With some set-up and larger bars, I think I could get to like it. It's just a very mellow bike though.

He had a '00 YZ426, and I hated that thing.

Oh, if you didn't ride a 520 or 525 SX, you rode the woods version, which has a softer power delivery. A 520/525 SX will make a man out of you fast.

The 06 yz450f is argueably the fastest of any carbied 450 to date, its the same engine they used from 06-09 but the 06 has a more aggressive cam grind and ignition curve/different cdi in other words. Many guys fit the 06 cams and cdi on their 07-09 yz 450's and some even use the 07-09 cams and cdi in their 06 because they dont like the abrupt midrange hit the 06 has and prefer the mellow power the 07-09 has which most people associate them as being ''slow''.

The Dealer makes the difference for me.....Yamaha dealer race support in my area is far better than the Honda dealers.....Discounts and technical race support make a huge difference......

i was also wondering wat bike to get should i get a 450???? i am 6,0 150lbs and gaining weight with 10yrs of experience

can anyone answer my QUESTION PLEASEEE???? :lol:

Its not the power, more top spedd, i got to top in 5 secs or less, couldnt hit the top of 5th in a CRF450, ever unless on road. But I had the 06 KX450, 4 speed. Ive looked at a few KX500s, Id love to have one, heard they blow up easily?? More into 4 strokes!!

2008 Honda crf450 my pick if I wanted a 450 with the power to leave a smile on your face.05-07 had great motors as well but 2008 was Hondas best year IMO

I have to agree with 275-450. I've been told by a couple mechanics in the industry that the 08 Honda 450 was the best year for power and several other things and and I have an 06 which is crazy fast. Would love to ride an 08 and compare. But now days don't think you can go wrong with any bike you choose all 450's are beasts.