Sign in to follow this  

Alternative float needle for stock CV carb

I have to reply to my own post. With the help of the folks at motorcyclecarbs.com I believe I have identified a candidate for a float needle replacement for a the stock Mikuni BSR 36 CV carb. Let me first say I haven't tried the fit on one of these yet but the pic they have looks good. The replacement is a Keihin K1 float needle. The OEM Keihin part is available at: http://www.motorcyclecarbs.com/FLOAT_NEEDLE_K1_KEIHIN_P5712.cfm They have also made the K&L aftermarket available in a 5-pack at: http://www.motorcyclecarbs.com/FLOAT_NEEDLE_SUZUKI_DR-Z400S__P17122.cfm I will be reporting back as soon as I get one in hand, measure it and try it out on the bike. Since the seat lasts forever on viton tipped needles the only remaining issue is getting a new O-ring to go around the seat and of course getting the float level set right. Shouldn't be too hard to find a Viton O-ring that will work. Oh yes, the prices motorcyclecarbs.com quotes are not the lowest price I could find on the K1 float needle but they are competitive and you have to appreciate them making the effort to research my measurements which is something a couple of other well-known carb shops didn't want to bother with. All I got from them is "aftermarket replacement parts for the BSR 36 are not supported by the manufacturer."

Cheers,

Ferd

I have to reply to my own post. With the help of the folks at motorcyclecarbs.com I believe I have identified a candidate for a float needle replacement for a the stock Mikuni BSR 36 CV carb. Let me first say I haven't tried the fit on one of these yet but the pic they have looks good. The replacement is a Keihin K1 float needle. The OEM Keihin part is available at: http://www.motorcycl...EIHIN_P5712.cfm They have also made the K&L aftermarket available in a 5-pack at: http://www.motorcycl...00S__P17122.cfm I will be reporting back as soon as I get one in hand, measure it and try it out on the bike. Since the seat lasts forever on viton tipped needles the only remaining issue is getting a new O-ring to go around the seat and of course getting the float level set right. Shouldn't be too hard to find a Viton O-ring that will work. Oh yes, the prices motorcyclecarbs.com quotes are not the lowest price I could find on the K1 float needle but they are competitive and you have to appreciate them making the effort to research my measurements which is something a couple of other well-known carb shops didn't want to bother with. All I got from them is "aftermarket replacement parts for the BSR 36 are not supported by the manufacturer."

Cheers,

Ferd

Thanks for this Ferd. I have got the dreaded DRZ fuel leak (400S, manual petcock) and I would prefer a cheap fix.

Did the new float needle & o-ring combo work?

What size is the o-ring?

Edited by tendays

The float valve seat O ring is 8mm by 1.5mm or 5/16 by 1/16 will work as an alternate. Viton is better material if you can find it. Generally the O ring is all that needs to be replaced.

Listen to the noble Mr. Noble, you likely don't need anything other than the o-ring....which is almost FREE!

Thanks fellas I've ordered 10x viton 8x1.5mm o-rings. I will try this first. However I did notice a very slight groove in the needle tip last time I looked at it - could it still be OK?

Might do the PAJ, PAIR valve and solenoid removal mods while I'm at it...

/td

All carb jobs done.

OEM o-ring was hard as a glaswegian <insert suitable simile>. Viton replacement seemed a bit loose around the float assy - I had to push quite hard to get it seated back in. But fuel leak seems to be solved. (I'm still leaving petcock turned off when parked up, just a good habit I've got into....)

Removed PAIR valve & solenoid: blanking pate on cylinder head; tapped, RTV'd & bolted the relevant hoses & carb top, installed 135 PAJ, remote fuel screw, replaced cheese float bowl screws with allen cap bolts. Moved needle up to clip posn 2.

All back together, set up the mixture - probably not perfect, no big gains to throttle response but she is running fine.

Thanks for all advice lads.