Best time to take of trainers?

My son is 3 years old and just got a 2007 TTR50E with training wheels. I have the throttle adjusted low and he has been riding for less than a week, and can ride without any help at all, turns great. Gets a little distracted, actually have made it a little faster, he tried going up a small dirt hill in our yard but the trainers hold him back, He can cut it off, put in gear and start it by himself now. Is it time to take the trainers off, after a week or should I wait, His feet cant touch the ground, but the foot pegs easily. He stays in first gear mostly, havent worked too much with the gears.. Anyone start their kids out young without trainers??

Can he ride a bicycle with no training wheels? That is a requirement in my book before pulling of the trainers.

Started my boy at 3, didn't pull off till his 6th b-day. I wanted a full year + of riding his pedal bike without training wheels before I pulled of the trainers on his cycle. At three or 4, they understand the concept but don't have the maturity or skills to ride without.

He can start it and shift? Hmm. My boy is a pretty big kid for his age and just now has enough a$$ to start his CRF50.

Can he ride a bicycle with no training wheels? That is a requirement in my book before pulling of the trainers.

Started my boy at 3, didn't pull off till his 6th b-day. I wanted a full year + of riding his pedal bike without training wheels before I pulled of the trainers on his cycle. At three or 4, they understand the concept but don't have the maturity or skills to ride without.

I feel the same way, but not about training wheels on motorcycles, but being on a motorcycle at all.

None of my kids got on a motorized two wheeled machine until they could confidently control a non-motorized two wheeled machine.

I feel the same way, but not about training wheels on motorcycles, but being on a motorcycle at all.

None of my kids got on a motorized two wheeled machine until they could confidently control a non-motorized two wheeled machine.

That's what I'm planning on doing.

I'll probably get my boy one of those weird little bikes that don't have pedals after he gets good at walking, and than move him to a pedal bike after he can balance the weird no pedal bike, then to 50...

I don't think there is a perfect formula, each kid is different. It sound like your kid is close, but the part about him not able to touch the ground would make me think twice.

I bought my kid a PW 50 (a bit shorter than the TTR or CRF) when he was 2. I wouldn't let him ride it with training wheels, but I also wouldn't let him ride it until he could ride his bicycle without training wheels. It sat for about a day before he told me to take off his bicycle training wheels, and he just pedaled off the first time. Of course we were all over him when he was learning the dirt bike, but he loved it and took to it pretty well.

I would not let my 4 yr old touch his TTR50 until he could ride his pedal bike with no trainers. Then we went to trainers on the TTR for about 5 months. He is just now riding it with no trainers, but still has a hard time stopping and not falling over. He needs about 3 inches to make it fit him better.

That's what I'm planning on doing.

I'll probably get my boy one of those weird little bikes that don't have pedals after he gets good at walking, and than move him to a pedal bike after he can balance the weird no pedal bike, then to 50...

I was going to go the scooter route when my son was running up against a brick wall with his pedal bike, but after I had tried just about everything and was at wits end, he hopped on and took off like he'd been riding for years. ?

Leave them on until he can touch the ground when he stops, but get them off as soon as possible.

If you leave them on too long they create bad habits. I left my son's trainers on too long and he learned to ride the thing like a quad -- wide open around corners, feet on pegs, and body position/leaning like you only do on a quad. When I took them off at about 5 years old, he crashed in every corner for the first few days (even though he was very proficient on a bicycle by then). It was like learning to ride all over again.