Sign in to follow this  

big guy, little bike

i'm 6'2, about 185lbs. and i love anything small and motorized.

the agility and quickness of tiny machines is what really gets my adrenaline going.

i've ridden pit bikes that belonged to friends, but i've never owned one.

i want to buy my first pit bike. and i don't want to spend more than $1500(for the bike, will be spending more $$ on upgrades eventually).

i want at least a 125cc bike, i know at my size anything smaller just wont be enough juice.

i want something with great upgrade potential, because i plan on riding almost every day and probably racing once i get comfortable on it.

i'll be riding a lot of open fire roads and desert trails, and of course some MX track in between.

what would be the best brand to go for, for what i want?

Edited by mchlmacdonald

at the track i race at we have big guys (6' to 6'3 ish stuffed on crf50's with hd spring kits) but its all in what you want to ride and what your comfy on.. ive looked around and one of the bikes id spring for in my opinion is the ssr 150 tx... like this. http://tboltusa.com/store/ssr-150-tx2-pro-pit-bike-brfree-shipping-p-547.html

its right at your $1500 dollar limit but there nice up close. but.. thats just my opinion and they are biggish for a bigger guy.

my crf50 with the kitaco 88cc kit and a honda big valve head is faster than a lot of china 125's

so the ssr 150 or the pitster x5...what about piranha?

is there a preferable brand between the 3?

what's the upgrade potential on these bikes in terms of power and suspension?

for piranha to meet whats you want in a bike as youve described it would probably be the 140. as for a differ from the 3, mainly all ive seen guys ride is the SSR and pitster bikes. but that doesnt mean the piranha bikes arent good. but as far as power and suspension the SSR 150 tx can be raced out of the box and so can the pitster x5. id go for one of them in my opinion. either bike will be AWESOME bike to trail ride leasure ride and even race

sounds like the ssr 150 tx will be my best bet then.

what kind of mileage can i expect out of that little one gallon tank?

and what kind of top speed can i expect? without/with mods to the motor/suspension?