Sign in to follow this  

Pulled off the CA emissions stuff, and now DRZ keeps dying?

So I pulled of the black charcoal canister from my 2001 DRZ. It ran fine before I took it off. The day after I pulled it, I could get the bike started, and it would run for about 35 seconds, and then the engine would cut out. I even got it up to like 40mph, and it cut out on me. Today is day two, and now it wont even really start unless I give it a bit of throttle, and then it will start, run for about 2 seconds and then die.

I totally irrationally jumped to conclusions and took apart the carb, thinking it must be dirty since its a low milage 2001, and I just bought it last week (it was late last night and I wasn't thinking well). Anyways, carb is surprisingly clean. I put it all back together and still, same problem. I have searched around here a bit and made sure that the vacuum hose was hooked up and not kinked, still same problem. One thing I am wondering is, does the stock carb have a vent hose? Because I couldnt find one, I just have the fuel line and the vacuum line hooked up...

Otherwise, any guesses?

I read some stuff about putting it on prime, but I am pretty sure I just flooded it when I did that...

Thanks in advance!

I did the samething to my 2007 S. You need to make sure you plug the carb nipple the charcoal cannister connected to. Also make sure the vent hose is not kinked that goes up to the gas tank, near the top. It is the hose that connected to the cannister. Don't know if that'll cure your specific problem, but it may not hurt! Check out on TT "charcoal cannister removal (how to)". Good luck!

the link is actually "smog cannister removal (how to)". Sorry.

the link is actually "smog cannister removal (how to)". Sorry.

Yeah, I read that, and followed it...this is so frustrating!

Maybe hit up one of the elder DRZ guys on TT. There is a vast knowledge of tuning in these guys' brains!! Best of luck to you.

there is a vacuum line on the very bottom of the carb on the right side of the carb..make sure that is capped.. the line that runs from underneath the tank needs to vent.

Same thing happened to me... this is why. I got excited to put the bike back together when I was done and didn't connect the vent to the tank back up. It will fix it.

The gas tank has to be vented. (the hose from the gas tank to the canister)

The vacuum line to the petcock needs to be hooked up. (It is the hose from the nipple on the top.)

The carb should not flood with petcock on PRI. At least not immediately and not at all when it is running.

The carb is vented. the hose on the left side than hangs down to about the bottom of the bowl and open on the end is the bowl vent.

When you removed the canister, you have to seal the nipple on the under side of the carb that was the purge line.