steering stem head nut...

You will need a special tool for this one.....(castle nut)

-The top nut gets torqued to 65 lbs/ft.

-The bearing retainer nut (castle nut) gets torqued just enough to snug the bearings, without causing them to bind. The service manual says to tighten it to 32.5 lbs/ft, turn the steering back and forth several times, and then back off the nut 1/4 to 1/2 turn.

-Upper triple clamp pinch bolts get 21.5 lbs/ft of torque.

You will need a special tool for this one.....(castle nut)

-The top nut gets torqued to 65 lbs/ft.

-The bearing retainer nut (castle nut) gets torqued just enough to snug the bearings, without causing them to bind. The service manual says to tighten it to 32.5 lbs/ft, turn the steering back and forth several times, and then back off the nut 1/4 to 1/2 turn.

-Upper triple clamp pinch bolts get 21.5 lbs/ft of torque.

Do u know what size castle nut tool and what size socket for the top nut? Sorry for all the questions but the manual is no help on this.

Channel lock pliers work fine on the castle nut. Pre-torque is not critical. Tighten, loosen, tighten the top nut, evaluate steering is free of any looseness but not over tight. Readjust the castle nut as needed. The bearings are going to feel loose until the top nut is tight.

Simple hook tool used on bicycle bottom brackets and steering stem nuts works just fine as well.

And while pliers and channel locks have a place in my roll-away .. I just cant bring myself to use them as described above, nor recommend they be used like that.

Make or buy the socket.. Make or buy a simple hook tool..

To each his own, do what works for you

So..your not tempted to reach for cold chisel there Eric...??

I’d be lying if I said I have not used a drift on a castle nut more than once when I had no other choice (away from the shop, tool in the toy Hauler are copious, but not complete)

And I might in that situation grab and round over a cold chisel point to tap a castle nut loose.. But it’s not something I would recommend, nor ever do as a plan.