Sign in to follow this  

2008 sm610 performance

I just bought a clean used 08 EFI SM610 that is stock except for a LeoVince slip-on with a straight-through 1-1/2" core. It has been well maintained, recently serviced and runs as well as ever according to the original owner.

I recently sold my third XR650L after 25K miles, which had a competition half-pipe, open(alot) airbox and was professionally(optimally) tuned on the dyno. It ran great but was the slowest one I've ever owned.

The new(to me) Husky is barely any stronger than this last Honda, has an anemic torque curve and has horribly abrupt on/off throttle manners. :lol:

I've heard something about the O2 sensor dis-connect mod but, simply un-plugging it(leaving the chek-engine light on) didn't make anything better.

Basically, I'm looking for expert input here on what is the most effective basic mods to be done that will get me at least close to a KTM 625/690 in terms of accelleration without spending a bunch more money. Any input will be greatly appreciated, especially from those who know for sure what will work and what won't. Thanks.

you can't simply unplug the o2 sensor. you need to buy the 'power up' kit for it. It includes a plug where the o2 sensor goes, a plug that completes the circuit in the cap for the o2 sensor. After you install those pieces, you have to get it remapped at the dealer which will put the bike into a 'race map' I know motoxotica sells the kit for ~$47 and Halls outside of Chicago has it for around $60. Hope this helps.

Power up plug. Huge improvement, but the tps sensor needs to be reset by the dealer.

It will probably run fine without doing it. It might stall when coming to a stop

Thanks for the responses guys.

Does anyone know how or, can explain what the O2 disconnect consists of and how it effects a change?

Can I just get the right resistor to appease the ECU? What needs to be done to improve the ignition and fuel maps? Does the "dealer" have to plug-in with a special piece of equipment to reflash the ECU? I'm capable of adjusting the TPS. :lol:

I would like to find out if there is an "optimum" stock ECU performance setting that would give me peak performance with the stock engine with a pipe. :)

Pretty sure you need to change the pipe if you do the power up mod. I could be wrong though. And yes, you can use a a resister without buying the plug (2.5 i believe). if you do a search you'll find a couple posts about it.

Pretty sure you need to change the pipe if you do the power up mod. I could be wrong though. And yes, you can use a a resister without buying the plug (2.5 i believe). if you do a search you'll find a couple posts about it.

there are good threads available on CafeH , and ADV rider , where the 610/630 is reaallly loved..,

Charlie