Sign in to follow this  

250f or 125 for racing

I wanna race in my local 250f class....money is considered, especially in maintaning it to where it competitive every race. I dont know if I can afford to ride a 4-stroke or if a 2-stroke is actually competitive in the class. basic overall question is 125 or 250f? I just wanna hear everyones thoughts overall on this subject.. thanks for your time!

It really depends on what class you will be riding, A, B, C, etc... I mean if you're a great rider and will be riding in the A 250 class, then you might wanna risk a 4 stroke as most people will be riding them. If you're a beginner, then a 125 will be fine.

Over the course of your 6 - 8 lap race, you will get less worn out on a 4 stroke, so that means you might have a better chance at winning races at your age, considering you will probably race against teenagers! heh :lol:

Depends On Your Riding Style. If Your An Aggressive Rider And Like To Ride Fast/Hard And Bang Gears Buy A 125. Id Go Newer Ktm If You Could.

If The Extra Power Is Going To Benefit You Buy A Clean 250F. Maintain It And Save Money In Case You Need It.

If I Was Riding Strictly Mx/Sx Id Go 2 Stroke. I Ride Desert/Xc So The Thumper Is More Beneficial.

what about a 250 two stroke? they are legal in the 250f class in amature racing

what about a 250 two stroke? they are legal in the 250f class in amature racing

I have would have to check my local track...seems like i'd kill the 250f with a 250 smoker. Is that only in beginner classes?

I will be racing beginner, as this will be my first season of mx/sx racing. But I do hope to be moving up

I really like the thought put into the replies i've got so far..this is great food for thought to help me buy the right bike to start out with!

Thank you all much!! :lol:

Just for knowing, how much more expensive is it to maintain a thumper vs. a smoker?

Any more thoughts, info, opinions is more than appreciated....:)

Only More More Money For The Thumper If You Have Any Motor Problems Or Need To Rebuild It.