Yamaha Dirt Days from the 70's

Does anyone remember the Yamaha Dirt Days event from either 1974 or 75?

Truckloads of all of the DT,IT,MX and TY models brought to local fairgrounds for test rides

in improvised riding areas?

i don't think there is anything like that around now...dealers need to have something like that for the 800lb top heavy gorilla's they sell now(known as "sport/utility" atv's) saw a write up someplace about a man had his 5yr old son on the back of one & was going too fast & turned too sharp & the thing flipped throwing them off & rolled over the 5yr old & he died from the injuries...they outlawed 3 wheelers because of rider stupidity...i have 3 younger brothers that wore out about a half dozen 3 wheelers & none of them were ever injured because myself & my Dad took the time to teach them how to ride one starting with the honda 70cc atc sure stuff does happen but there seems to be more "spodes" on quads than bikes nowadays...just my 2cnts...(wonder why the "government" never outlawed tricycles)LOL! they did kids dirtbikes(ie pw50) sonsab....es i never saw a kid chewing on their dirtbike!!!

I went to the Dirt Days event near St Louis, since I was young all I could think about

was riding and snagging brochures! If I could go back slightly older I would have gone

to the demonstrations by Karsmakers and Hart on MX, and Mick Andrews on trials.

They could never get away with doing that today, I was 13 and you would wait in line

like at the Carnival and get to ride a lap or two on the bikes. Very mild MX, a trials

course with a Log or railroad tie. Can't believe they turned a kid loose on new TY250!

Lawyers would cringe today, but I remember it fondly. Just wish I would have got a few pics,

or remembrances like a shirt or decal.

Does anyone remember the Yamaha Dirt Days event from either 1974 or 75?

Truckloads of all of the DT,IT,MX and TY models brought to local fairgrounds for test rides

in improvised riding areas?

YES!! Yamaha Dirt Days is what turned me on to motorcycling. I don't remember which fairgrounds it was at in Colorado near Denver, but it was awesome. I remember seeing the Yamaha fully suspended BMX bicycle for the first time and also they were showing the movie On Any Sunday. They also had the Yamaha High School MX race which we captured some horrible 8mm film of. My dad didn't let us ride the motorcycles for some reason. I'm 50 years old now and currently riding my 24th dirt bike, a 2012 CRF450R, all these purchases put in motion the day my dad took us to this event and I was hooked, racing in colorado in the 80's and currently just track riding for fun in Arizona.

yes i do .. in australia we had the yamaha learn to ride program

they used TY 80's , on completion they gave out a certificate

it worked , not long after that i had a brand new YZ80B :bonk:

Chooken , we had the same thing up in townsville , using DT`s . This is why my first bike was a DT , greg

n686021915_445944_4082.jpg

Did they have this thing all over the country??? I would have jumped on it if I heard about it near me. But it's true, with liability problems, it would never happen now.

i don't think there is anything like that around now...

There is a BMW / Husqvarana Dealer in St. Louis who quite often take bikes out to Poker Runs and what not and will let you ride the trails.

I have heard of KTM doing the same thing once in a while.:bonk:

actually in my neck of the woods yamaha comes to durhamtown plantation with thier 4 wheelers and utility vech. often and this past fall I was sent an invite to go to durhamtown and test the yamaha dirt bikes, but I did not make it down.. they do not give you a certificate but they do give you a t-shirt.

Ktm dirt days at highland park is fun too but I don't think they have done it in a few years. The last time I was at a ktm dirt days event I saw 2 people break thier shoulders and one of those two broke thier leg as well....seeems the front brakes are really strong and it was a full on dirt trail ride demo.

I went back the following day and high sided a new ktm 200 what fun!!

All manufactures should let you test out bikes before you buy!! ...well i guess if they did they would have a bunch of weak ass 250f's they would not be able to sell.

i remember the local yamaha dealer had one back in the mid 80s at my home town in Labrador. it was in a field at one of our provincial parks "duley lake".

i tried out a dt 200 and man could that thing fly, i also grabbed a bunch of stickers. i had yamaha stickers all over the place. great idea to grow some brand loyalty.

I remember that, the Yamaha learn to ride program. Yamaha had set up a test ride area in the parking lot of a local Mall. I rode a DT 100. They had instructors teaching the basics. What a great idea and a great way to get people into motorcycling. I think lawyers will prevent manufactures from ever doing something like that again for fear of a lawsuit if someone should fall and get scraped up.

Tech25

On ‎12‎/‎4‎/‎2011 at 6:38 PM, ctune80 said:

I went to the Dirt Days event near St Louis, since I was young all I could think about

was riding and snagging brochures! If I could go back slightly older I would have gone

to the demonstrations by Karsmakers and Hart on MX, and Mick Andrews on trials.

They could never get away with doing that today, I was 13 and you would wait in line

like at the Carnival and get to ride a lap or two on the bikes. Very mild MX, a trials

course with a Log or railroad tie. Can't believe they turned a kid loose on new TY250!

Lawyers would cringe today, but I remember it fondly. Just wish I would have got a few pics,

or remembrances like a shirt or decal.

I realize ctune80 hasn't been here in a while, but I was the guy that handed him the TY (the simple trials course was my section).

My friend, who could actually ride trials, was the one cleaning the 60" log on one of the demo TYs.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DaveCR said:

I realize ctune80 hasn't been here in a while, but I was the guy that handed him the TY (the simple trials course was my section).

My friend, who could actually ride trials, was the one cleaning the 60" log on one of the demo TYs.

Did you work for one of the St Louis Area dealers Dave? I went to Donelsons a couple of years ago and talked to some of the staff about it. They mentioned that all of the area dealers manned and staffed the event. 

Never worked for a dealer. The event needed warm bodies and we were asked through the Missouri Trials Association. My friend competed regularly and I entered a couple of times in the enduro class. 

I really wish they would've have let us test ride bikes back in the 70's, but the liability was way too high here in southern california. When I was 15 yrs old I ditched 3rd period and my sister let me use her t-bird to go to T & O Yamaha Dealer. I went in put a down payment on a 1975 DT 175 and had all the paper work ready for when my parents could co-sign, if I was able to test ride the bike I wouldn't have bought the DT175. I would've gotten either the 400 or a RD 400.

My DT175 got stolen from school about the 3rd week I had it, I should've tape the ignition plug up to the top of the frame under the tank, all you had to do was find that plug and unplug it, snap the steering lock and fire her up lol. Luckily a friend loaned me his Honda 550 4 for as long as I needed it,so when the insurance money was due to come in I was going to upgrade big time. 2 days before the waiting period was over and I was going to get cashed out Carson Sheriff found my bike it was all &%$#@!ed up, but just my luck lol.

The dealer had it for about 3 weeks to fix everything and it was a piece of shit, so I took it all apart painted the frame blue and the fenders and springs on shock blue, did some motor work, disconnected the oil pump and started to premix with blendsall and it was a whole new bike.

Sorry pic is hard to see.

mydt175.jpg