Sign in to follow this  

Racing catch can

Looking to do a few races here in Australia next year, not sure if the pre race checks are similar to in the US? I need a small container to reroute the overflow pipes into. I suppose this is too catch any fluid messing up the track. My overflow pipes are obviously from the carb.

I can't find a good location to install this bottle.

Any ideas, experiences or even better pic's.

Thanks

SME Catch Can

attachment.php?attachmentid=256574&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1210889907

Thank you for the pic's.

Once you have collected all the tubes together would you have a small bottle where you have the red plug?

Thank you for the pic's.

Once you have collected all the tubes together would you have a small bottle where you have the red plug?

You can.. Sure

That system in the pic assumes that per track session, the collector and tubing capacity will not be exceeded. Then after the session, you drain the system.

i have the same one thats pictured. It was about $26 from wheeling(i paid $40 from motostrano). There is a UFO catch can that has a separate chamber for oil,water,gas and what i wanted but they were back ordered. The catch works pretty well and ive noticed if i dont wheelie it last a long time before needing to be drained with my FCR.

HAHA.... I know that one :)

But to the OP... the SME can works great and passes tech at every track I have been to :lol:

the purple chain gave it away to me!!!! dont you have a pink one now?

Actually do I even need a catch can?

There are 2 tubes hanging at the bottom of the bike.

The one is connected to the bottom of the carb, to drain fuel out of the float bowl, the drain screw is normally closed so fuel doesn't normally come out of here.

The second tube is from the vent from the radiator over flow (clear container). So it shouldn't leak fluid out.

The tube from the top of the head goes into a black box which takes care of that.

The only other one is near the top of the carb which in the manual is either a vent or vaccum? (looking from the left side of bike). Maybe it needs collecting?

Perhaps FCR carbs have more over flows? I have a stock SM, so no FCR.

Actually do I even need a catch can?

The second tube is from the vent from the radiator over flow (clear container). So it shouldn't leak fluid out.

Wrong.....

Lets say for example you Blow a head gasket > the increased pressure in radiator pushes coolant out to expansion tank > tank overflows and spews coolant over rear tyre > resulting in serious loss of traction = :):banghead:

A catch can is on my shopping list...:lol:

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1028495

Wrong.....

Lets say for example you Blow a head gasket > the increased pressure in radiator pushes coolant out to expansion tank > tank overflows and spews coolant over rear tyre > resulting in serious loss of traction = :):banghead:

A catch can is on my shopping list...:lol:

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1028495

Okay, I'll get that vent into a catch can, thanks Craig.

the purple chain gave it away to me!!!! dont you have a pink one now?

Yep.. pink chain now :)

does the whiteish tube go to your radiator?

Nope.. it is the breather part of the catch can. I ran it up in front of the Radiator :lol: