Sign in to follow this  

IT banding & Knee Pain

Anyone else experienced the IT banding problem? I have developed knee pain and believe ITB is contributing. It has progressively gotten worse, to the point of making my hip and thigh ache. I bought the "foam roller" and began attempting to use it. OMG! Used it for a few days. Bought new OTC inserts to help with over pronation. Trying a few general stretches. Any other suggestions to help?

Usually the rolling pin, Advil, and better shoes work. ITB syndromes are not common in off road motorcycling. Prior to having my ITB lengthened, or partially removed, I would work with a trainer, or MX pro to be sure that I was doing everything in the right form, as bad form typically makes these overuse problems worse.

And if I did end up under the knife for this, I would make sure that I didn't have a lateral retinacular release under any circumstances.

The OMG! with the foam roller is because it is working. Keep at it.

Also stretch the piriformis.

You might consider a hard massage to help release the IT band.

It takes a while.

I've been foam rolling at the gym because some of my quad muscles are rock hard. Especially on the sides of my thighs. I'm not joking either, rock hard. I'm keeping at it for couple weeks now and am starting to see some progress but holy smokes does it ever hurt. I am trying anything and everything to help with my Patellafemoral pain until I can find a sports doc who will take it seriously.

I have to do some specific IT band stretches. If I don't do them, I get soreness and irritation on the outside of my left knee. It's where the IT band runs over the plate that holds my femur together. Its worse in cold weather, but controllable with stretching.

Stretches(Hold for a minute), deep massage of lateral thigh & ice after TX/activity.

As with most ailments, it is best to catch it early. If you have let it go for too long, you may have along road to recovery.

Had a set of inserts modified for my specific issues today. Interesting how my gate and muscle/skeletal issues have thrown off my balance. The insoles felt good immediately. Continuing with stretching and other stuff.

The Dr. did say that the bicycling is toucher on the joints that most believe...never knew that.

Getting colder here so I plan to row more, with the inserts.

Anyone have specific excercises (or a link) to help balance the quads and help with the it banding?

I have had IT band problems in the past, surgical release fixed my left side. I still have occasional problems with the right, stretching and more stretching make it bearable.