Sign in to follow this  

IMS Tank Interference

I have an 09 with 14 hours on it and an IMS 3.2 tank. I pulled it off yesterday to check the valve clearance (all in spec) and noticed 2 wear marks from the tank on the valve cover. 1 is on the top of the valve cover which is just a tank rub mark and not a big deal. The other is from the down tube for fuel which has rubbed away a bit of aluminum (1/16") on the side of the valve cover in the area where the indent is for the spark plug. The valve cover is not that thick so I am concerned with it rubbing through. Anybody else seen this? I was thinking of putting a thin coat of JB weld in the area as it is tougher than aluminum. And yes, I should have taken a picture. Next time I pull off the tank will be for an 08 R cam.

Thanks, I ordered the rubber mounts today. I wish I would have known it before I installed the tank and it did the damage. $8 mounts versus $153 head cover if I was to replace it. The last post asked amount mounting location and was not answered - suggestions?

Couldn't tell you exactly. Your best bet is to get someone with an 05-07 to take a photo or tell you, but I assume it would be under the wider section of the IMS tank.