Sign in to follow this  

300 or 200 Help me decide

I have been weighing the pros and cons (for my needs) of the 2 models as I would like to try a 2-stroke for my trail riding, mostly tight trails, slower speeds, 55 year old trying to have fun on the way to 56.

300 2008 or newer:

electric start +

more $$-

heavier, but not sure how much-

200 XC W 2008 or newer:

kick start

lighter, but not sure how much+

I am 6ft, 2in 175lbs, am looking for smooth, linear power with low weight. No racing, but I want to grow my skills/speed without needing another bike

Questions:

Does the 200 feel a lot lighter in the woods?

Does Kickstart on 200 involve any real effort?

Can you lug/slow speed crawl better on one bike than another?

Any comparisons/thoughts would be appreciated!

David

good questions. a 2t ktm trailbike might be a good addition to my garage.

200 should be fine if your application but if you want serious fun go for the 300

Im biased as I have a 300, but I've ridden a few 200 and they are quite fun and more maneuverable than the bigger 300 but no where near as much power.

Either way you go, you will have a blast

The 200 does feel a lot lighter in the woods.

The 200 kickstarts easily (so does the 300).

The 300 lugs better.

I have a 300 and love it. When I ride a 200, it is really fun to ride, it feels like a mountain bike to me. It has a lot less power than the 300, which I need to make up for my lack of skill.

I weigh 220 with gear on, 5' 10", 49 yrs old and an intermediate recreational rider that rides single track in the rocky mountains.

Not sure if any of that helps.

p.s. - if you get the 300 with e-start, do the Slavens mod and still use the kickstart when the bike is cold.

As a 300 owner I am going to say go with the 200. At your weight if you ride mostly tight stuff you will love it. They are unbelievably maneuverable and have plenty of power even for a fat guy like me. I love my 300, but if I was riding mostly tight stuff I would trade it for a 200.

Bein annudda ol phart [64] I recommend the 300 w/electric start.. The newer the better..

Absolutly go with the 300, 08 and later. I've ridden both, and currently have an '11 300xcw. The 300 jetted and setup properly will ride like it has an electric motor. The 200 likes to be ridden like a 125, on the pipe. It will lug down some, but not as good as the 300.

Mark.

The electric start is notoriously bad on the 300. first -- its not a starter. Its a restarter - meaning, only really intended to restart the bike once its warmed up.

With that said, lots of people have managed to get them to work reliably even for cold starting. They do require some maintenance. If you buy the 300, dont do it because of the starter. Both bikes are easy starters with the kick start.

I own a 300 because it allows me to be lazy. It lugs down low so I don't have be in the correct gear all the time. With a Rekluse autoclutch it makes it even easier. Plus there are times when you just need to power out of almost dropping your bike. The 300 has that.

I will send ya a pm. You can ride my 200. Hard to beat it in our environment. Just got thru riding 3+ hours at Brown and i am not tired.

Both have their pluses and minuses, i just like what the 200 offers me.

You really don't need the power of the 300 in our NC woods. Fhe 200 is just about perfect.

I am your same weight and have both bikes and have an 2011 200 now. I love it! I felt the 300 was a bit too heavy, but had good grunt and when I dialed in the jetting it rocked. The 200 can ride very low and is AWESOME in the tights and then rocks up top. Well they both do.

I have had both and like the 300 much better, imo I like the grunt on the hill around here in NC.

I'm not nearly as fast as Dave Mac, but I much prefer my 200 in the NC technical ST. (Almost 50 YO BTW). I had a 250 and around here the power wore me out quicker, and as I like to rev a bike out some it could be a handful.:cheers::banghead::smirk: Traded for a 200 & very happy w/the decision. I tried a few 300s and for me they were definately too much to rev out, even in Florida sand. :lol::cripple:

You need to decide if you're a revver or a lugger. A 200 will lug right down & pull you up steep hills, but you can also bang on it without such rapid consequences.:)

either one will work great, and so will a 250. Unless you're a fat guy, or really lazy, or a power-junkie, I think a 250 is a better choice than a 300. less likely to bite you in tight stuff and less overheating problems.

I believe you will get people saying one is better than the other based on what they like, normal. In the end you'll have to make the call on what you need/want for your preferred riding style.

I've had a 300 and now have a 200 (09 xcw). Both are good for us here in the NC mtns. 300 is the torque master and if you never hit the pipe it seems like it just goes and goes with no problems (carb/pv sorted of course) and almost seems "tame". Problem I had was getting out of shape and giving too much gas and ending up stuck to a tree followed quickly by the ground!

The 200 can be more than you bargained for sometimes as well, but nothing like a 300 whiskey throttle. 200 will grunt up any climb in 1st and most of the climbs at Brown/Brushy are 2nd-3rd affairs (again, carb/pv tuned, very important with the 200). More shifting and clutch work on the 200, where the 300 is 2-3 most of the time depending on gearing.

Personally, the 200 has made me a much better rider. It's light and has enough power for the single track I like. 2 years of riding the 200 has really helped with learning to ride plated husky 450 on the single track as well. Easier to learn with less weight (for me).

You really need to ride them both and you'll get a good idea of what everyone is saying. I will extend the same offer as Gmoss, you're welcome to take a spin on my 200.

I am your same weight and have both bikes and have an 2011 200 now. I love it!
Absolutly go with the 300
either one will work great, and so will a 250. Unless you're a fat guy, or really lazy, or a power-junkie, I think a 250 is a better choice than a 300

There you go. It's settled then.