Sign in to follow this  

2 stroke 250 or 250f?

Hi everyone i'm looking for some advice on getting a 250, i want the most reliable race 250 i can get whether its 4 stroke or 2 stroke, i have a yz 125 and it breaks down constantly, i spent 1800 rebuilding it from the ground up and after its running perfectly it looses spark and other issues before this, but anyway i cant decide on 2 stroke or 4 stroke, personally i love 2 strokes, they're a blast and i know them inside and out from rebuilding mine and about 6 other bikes, but the 2 stroke is more maintenance (which i don't really mind) they're cheaper and cheaper to fix, very fun to ride and light weight, but are the 250 2 strokes reliable? people say they are very reliable but i just don't really want to believe it because of all my 125 issues. now the 4 stroke 250, iv heard the valves go bad quick, they're like a a time bomb, when the blow up they get really messed up, but iv heard that they are very reliable and run for a long time before you need to do anything with them, also they are very expensive to repair and buy, so i don't want to buy a 250f and then have it blow up after a week and have to spend $500 or more fixing a bike i just got, but if they are reliable and will run for a long time without issues than i wouldn't mind paying that much to fix it far down the road. also if i got either bike it would be a 2005 or newer 2 stroke or a 2007 or newer 250f, and the bike i buy i will make sure is stock so i know it is not tampered with. Advice and personal issues or what you think of your bikes would be greatly appreciated, also what should i look for when buying either bike? engine noises? wear and tear? anything is helpful

thank you

im sorry i posted this in the wrong place and i cant figure out how to delete it so im just gonna repost it in the what to buy section

I think any bike that is well maintained will be reliable,Take good care of it and it will return the favor.I love em all,2 and 4 stroke......I ride and race 2 stroke's, so that's all i can talk about with any real knowledge.The 250 2 stroke is a super reliable machine,if maintained properly.I just sold a KTM 200,i raced it and practiced on it for 3 1/2 year's,I took good care of it and it never had a problem,never DNFed,never left me walking,fantastic bike...it was a very well maintained bike.If you buy a used bike,ask a million question's about it,make a list of important thing's to ask...how often has the oil and filter been changed? If the person selling seem's stand-off-ish or has to think about his anwser....move on.It is a buyer's market out there,plenty of nice,well maintained bike's on the market...don't get in a hurry, and look at a bunch of em....take your time and ask question's.Never hurt's to bring someone else with you who know's bike's,he may notice something you may have missed.Good luck and happy trail's!!!

Well having owned both...a 4 stroke will be less routine maintenance, but will kill you in terms of $$$ when you do have to do maintenance. Unless you are doing your own valves. Also there are still oil changes required, although less frequent with 4 strokes, but they are more expensive than a 2 stroke. IF you have a major engine failure (yes I have had one) on a 4 stroke, any savings you may have had in terms of maintenance just went out the window. 2 strokes will require you to do more routine stuff, which amounts to after every race (if you're smart) or every couple of practices. Like changing tranny oil. Big deal 10w-40, maybe a quart or you can go with stuff like gear saver, etc if you prefer. Pre-mix isn't that expensive, and you know how to do it. Other than that it is a wash. Although the upfront cost of a 4 stroke is higher as well. Personally I would go with a 250 2 stroke. A modern KTM will absolutely kill it. Depends on what year you are looking at, as well. I have a 2005 KTM250EXC and it has been bullet proof.

2 strokes will require you to do more routine stuff, which amounts to after every race (if you're smart) or every couple of practices. Like changing tranny oil.

So your saying I (2 stroke rider/300 ktm) need to change my oil after my race on Saturday so I can race again Sunday but, not on my sons RMZ 290.....

Do you really have a clue as to what your telling people....I don't think so!!! :lol:

Maintance is the same on both 2 & 4 strokes exc. for valve adjustment. 2 strokes don't have them.... If you do your bikes right you'll spend as much time on one as the other. Rebuild cost is more on the 4 strokes but maint. is the same.... I spend 5 times more on our RMZ than I do my KTM. I've never had to rebuild the bottom end on a KTM... I can't say that about any of the jap bike we've had...

KTM 250SX = 50hp

Japanese 250F's = 35- 39hp (depending on what color you like).

Edited by rmzpegger
Spelling

2 strokes do NOT require more maintenance, quite a bit less in fact

I'm not sure what the above posters have owned, but they did not check the manuals

both 2 and 4 strokes have a transmission, that requires the same service intervals, some 4 strokes also have separate oil for the crank/piston/valves, that's an extra oil change, I change my 4 stroke oil twice as often as 2 stroke oil

id go with a yz 250. a 06 or newer make sure its in good shape. i change my oil. i use atf type f. its bettter for your clutch. clean my filter frequently and have no problems. very reliable

Well having owned both...a 4 stroke will be less routine maintenance, but will kill you in terms of $$$ when you do have to do maintenance. Unless you are doing your own valves. Also there are still oil changes required, although less frequent with 4 strokes, but they are more expensive than a 2 stroke. IF you have a major engine failure (yes I have had one) on a 4 stroke, any savings you may have had in terms of maintenance just went out the window. 2 strokes will require you to do more routine stuff, which amounts to after every race (if you're smart) or every couple of practices. Like changing tranny oil. Big deal 10w-40, maybe a quart or you can go with stuff like gear saver, etc if you prefer. Pre-mix isn't that expensive, and you know how to do it. Other than that it is a wash. Although the upfront cost of a 4 stroke is higher as well. Personally I would go with a 250 2 stroke. A modern KTM will absolutely kill it. Depends on what year you are looking at, as well. I have a 2005 KTM250EXC and it has been bullet proof.

Yeah bud!! I have never owned a 2 stroke that required more maintenance then any 4 stroke I have owned. Oil changes are equally important on both, and in theory more important on a 4 stroke!:lol::bonk:

If it were me I would buy a KTM250xc 2007 or newer. Simply simple and fantastic bike.

Is this a trick post to cause a multitude of rants about 2 VS 4??

If it is. I took the bait.

a properly set up 250 2 stroke will outlast ANY 250f, require less maintenance, and is cheaper to fix than a 250f. Even a 125 will do these things when set up properly.

that begin said... consider your skill level as well. The harder you flog a bike the faster you will be repairing them. Also consider you skill as a mechanic.

The 250f is going to be a much easier bike to ride and will immediately make you feel faster. The traction in corners is far better and the F will not wear you out as fast as a 2T.

Long and short... do your research. Ask questions to the people who hammer em and heed their advice. I for 1 have a good understanding of RM 250s and CR 2 strokes... if you end up interested in these.. PM me and Ill tell you what works for me and what doesn't.