Sign in to follow this  

Should i buy a 2 stroke 250 or a 250f?

Hi everyone i'm looking for some advice on getting a 250, i want the most reliable race 250 i can get whether its 4 stroke or 2 stroke, i have a yz 125 and it breaks down constantly, i spent 1800 rebuilding it from the ground up and after its running perfectly it looses spark and other issues before this, but anyway i cant decide on 2 stroke or 4 stroke, personally i love 2 strokes, they're a blast and i know them inside and out from rebuilding mine and about 6 other bikes, but the 2 stroke is more maintenance (which i don't really mind) they're cheaper and cheaper to fix, very fun to ride and light weight, but are the 250 2 strokes reliable? people say they are very reliable but i just don't really want to believe it because of all my 125 issues. now the 4 stroke 250, iv heard the valves go bad quick, they're like a a time bomb, when the blow up they get really messed up, but iv heard that they are very reliable and run for a long time before you need to do anything with them, also they are very expensive to repair and buy, so i don't want to buy a 250f and then have it blow up after a week and have to spend $500 or more fixing a bike i just got, but if they are reliable and will run for a long time without issues than i wouldn't mind paying that much to fix it far down the road. also if i got either bike it would be a 2005 or newer 2 stroke or a 2007 or newer 250f, and the bike i buy i will make sure is stock so i know it is not tampered with. Advice and personal issues or what you think of your bikes would be greatly appreciated, also what should i look for when buying either bike? engine noises? wear and tear? anything is helpful

thank you

Hi everyone i'm looking for some advice on getting a 250, i want the most reliable race 250 i can get whether its 4 stroke or 2 stroke, i have a yz 125 and it breaks down constantly, i spent 1800 rebuilding it from the ground up and after its running perfectly it looses spark and other issues before this, but anyway i cant decide on 2 stroke or 4 stroke, personally i love 2 strokes, they're a blast and i know them inside and out from rebuilding mine and about 6 other bikes, but the 2 stroke is more maintenance (which i don't really mind) they're cheaper and cheaper to fix, very fun to ride and light weight, but are the 250 2 strokes reliable? people say they are very reliable but i just don't really want to believe it because of all my 125 issues. now the 4 stroke 250, iv heard the valves go bad quick, they're like a a time bomb, when the blow up they get really messed up, but iv heard that they are very reliable and run for a long time before you need to do anything with them, also they are very expensive to repair and buy, so i don't want to buy a 250f and then have it blow up after a week and have to spend $500 or more fixing a bike i just got, but if they are reliable and will run for a long time without issues than i wouldn't mind paying that much to fix it far down the road. also if i got either bike it would be a 2005 or newer 2 stroke or a 2007 or newer 250f, and the bike i buy i will make sure is stock so i know it is not tampered with. Advice and personal issues or what you think of your bikes would be greatly appreciated, also what should i look for when buying either bike? engine noises? wear and tear? anything is helpful

thank you

i own a 07 yz 250f for a couple weeks now, and ive had no problems with it. As long as you check the valves, clean the air filter, change the oil every so often you wont have a problem with a 4 stroke, just dont be stupid about it. My friend has an 04 RM 250 2 stroke and it has nothing but problems with it, top end blew up, crank cracked off, gears chipped etc. I would go with an 07 or newer 250f yamaha, they are reliable and barely require maintenance at all, people make it sound worse than it actually is, it takes me just under 30min to check the valves, including putting it back together, and 4 strokes are much more fun! good luck :lol:

my buddy rides a yz250f 2005. he's had it for over a year now and its a damn solid bike. no valve adjustments yet. 1 chain/sproket combo and 1 rear tire. Thats all he has had to replace thus far. buuuuuut, on the other hand. I used to own a 2002 kx250 2t. That bike was very reliable. I had it for about 7 months and rode every weekend on it. Not a single top end replacement and it still had tons of compression before i traded it for a crf450r. But basically what i'm sayin is, take a look at the 2005 and up yz250f's. You'll be glad you did.

How in the world did you spend $1800 rebuilding a YZ125? You must have replaced everything except the frame.

250 2 strokes are very low maintenance compared to a 250F. 100% reliable too. Only thing a 250F has going for it, is the deal about it being "easier" to ride.

As for expense of upkeep. Replacing the pistons are about the same price for the two bikes. But with the 2T, replace the piston and your done. 4T, replace the piston, then you have to move on the the head, timing chain/tensioners, etc.. Rebuild costs are 2-3 times more on the 250F, and at the same intervals. And if something breaks on the 250F, well..

Still trying to add up what all you must have replaced on the 125 to add up to $1800.. I put a new piston in my KDX, sent the head and carburator off for mods, Wiseco clutch basket, all new clutch plates and springs, gaskets, swingarm and linkage bearings, still not half that.

How in the world did you spend $1800 rebuilding a YZ125? You must have replaced everything except the frame.

250 2 strokes are very low maintenance compared to a 250F. 100% reliable too. Only thing a 250F has going for it, is the deal about it being "easier" to ride.

As for expense of upkeep. Replacing the pistons are about the same price for the two bikes. But with the 2T, replace the piston and your done. 4T, replace the piston, then you have to move on the the head, timing chain/tensioners, etc.. Rebuild costs are 2-3 times more on the 250F, and at the same intervals. And if something breaks on the 250F, well..

Still trying to add up what all you must have replaced on the 125 to add up to $1800.. I put a new piston in my KDX, sent the head and carburator off for mods, Wiseco clutch basket, all new clutch plates and springs, gaskets, swingarm and linkage bearings, still not half that.

haha thanks for the advice, and yeah i did re do almost everything besides the frame, new pipe, silencer, head, cylinder (re plated), plastics, graphics, crank, bearings, seals, gaskets, seat, sprockets, chain, piston, bars, bar pad, bar risers, levers, grips, new casing, water pump cover, cylinder studs and nuts, spark plug, tons of misc bolts, filter, radiator hoses, carb slide (for the pipe), gas cap stem lol i think theres more but i cant think of it,

Heres a pic of it

http://i1136.photobucket.com/albums/n494/99yz125/99yz125.jpg

My thoughts exactly. It really is hard to imagine spending that much on a 125. I'm certain that I haven't spent that much on my RM 125, and I've had it since 2004!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As you will probably hear from many others, a 250f is the most unreliable race bike you can buy. Lots of expensive parts, and a high revving motor add up to big repair and maintenance bills. If you spent $1800 on a two stroke, you would probably drop 10K on a 250f! If you want a 4 stroke, you would would be much better off with a 450, in terms of reliability.

If you want a good low cost ride, just look for a late model unmolested 250 smoker of any brand. Stay away from modified bikes and/or bikes with a ton of aftermarket replacement parts. Keep the air filter clean and run good premix at 32:1, and it will last you for years at very little cost.

they are both as reliable as your willing to maintain them. On a 2 stroke you have to change the top end a lot more. If not you may detonate your engine. On a 4 stroke you can go up to a year without a top end. My 250f is running on 70 hours without a top end and im pretty sure it could go 30 hours more. I also change the oil every 8-15 hours and air filter every 5 hours, which is more oil changes than what i did with the old 2 stroke. Ive also checked my valves and theyre all in spec. So its going to come down to what you want, 2 stroke or 4 stroke. Theyre both really good bikes and fun to ride. Just make sure you up keep with maitenence if your racing.