Sign in to follow this  

2012 rmz250 suspension

Hey guys just got this and raced my first race last night. I really need to get some recommendations for thefork and shocks settings. 188lbs without gear for mx I'm a beginner/c rider but I can jump most all the jumps. Overall I'd say it was pretty harsh most the time.. And the roller whoops I just bounced off them instead of soaking them up. Please lost clickers oil height sag and whatever else would help haha thanks.

I would back out the compression both ends 5 clicks and set the sag to 103mm

LOL@ Lew.....

The suspension valving on this bike is deffinatly STIFF esp. the forks. I used the stock fork comp. valving with a stiffer MV on our SX bike last yr. lol If you can get the suspension valved you should be able to use stock springs and have a nice handeling bike......

doc

Suzuki are making this bike for a much faster level of moto riders not beginners so its natural that you will think its harsh like what mog and shockdoc said first play with clickers and sag if its still not the way you want it get it valved

the sag was key in making the bike handle well for me (104mm). as for the fork, they are sprung well for your weight, but i also feel that the forks valving is harsh, i pulled about 15cc of oil from the forks which helped me (168lbs without gear) but i feel it can be better. i am going to try a lighter oil (2.5wt silkolene) before i try a re-valve.

the pro rsf 2.5wt silkolene may make things worse, it has a very high viscosity when it's cold. It is designed for shocks and their high operating tempreatures. Why not try maxima 5wt, its good stuff.

already bought the stuff but im not sure what your talking about, i can remember a post here on TT which posted the viscosity temp change ratios (cant find it at the moment) but it had a relatively good ratio at around 2, other oils were as high as 6 or 8.

all you can do is try it then. i have, and didnt like it.

Wow actually got some replays on this post. I went off what mxa suggested which was stiffer than the stock settings.prolly reset clickers and recheck the sag and prolly drain a bit of oil out of the forks how much would you suggest?

try draining out 15cc's and go a bit softer (2 clicks out from standard) on both ends as a starting point. but again, before you do anything get your sag set at 104mm as recommended this is very important

Ok set my clickers and drained out 10ccs to start with. Can't rid till the race sat so I don't wanna get to crazy. Does anyone know what weight oil comes in the rmz stock was thinking about replacing it with maxima 5wt? What about fork leg height? And the steering seems loose to me should I tighten the nut?

yes tighten the nut, but i would highly recommend first taking the stem apart and lubing the bearings (they come with very little lube stock). then tighten the lower nut with a hammer and suitable punch until the bars just barely stop moving on their own (when doing this, dont forget to have the top triple clamps and castle nut loose). i run the forks quite low in the clamps (about 4mm of gold tubing visible above the top triple clamp) to improve stability. did you remember to check your sag? this is very important. i believe the stock oil IS 5wt so the maxima oil should be fine...

I did when I first got it but haven't rechecked it yet because I need another person. Thanks for all the info and giving me some suggestions..

One more thing lol where was the fork leg height supposed to be stock? The top of my forks were flush with the top of the triple clamp.. So ur saying to raise them about 4mm correct