Sign in to follow this  

Anyone ever tried to put an IT / YZ 250 swing arm on a DT175?

I have a 1981 (i think) DT175. I know there were several Yamaha's from this era that used the same type of monoshock. I want to find one that would have the aluminum style swing arm. My goal is to find a longer one to move the rear axle back, and use a longer, stiffer shock. I may have a line on an IT250. I would like to get the swing arm, rear wheel(aluminum) and rear shock. There are plenty of forks that I can make work. I can weld (steel).

Just wanted to know if anyone has ever tried it. If so, what year and bike. Im looking at the IT's and YZ's from late 70's to early 80's.

Before you all go off saying the bike isn't worth it, I already know and want to do it anyway. My goal is to (first, build it myself) and to end up with a simple air cooled, non-powervalve, trails bike with a decent suspension. This bike would be simple, reliable, light weight. Plus the "never saw that before" cool factor. This engine has a good, long mid range, and it is not that hard or expensive to do a lot of mostly free mods. I already did it with a DT125 and really woke the motor up.

So, any tips for the rear end?

Use the Yamaha parts lists. If the swingarm bushing parts (at least one of them, such as the pivot bolt or the bearings, etc) are the same, then the pivot diameter is the same. The 125/175 series always used smaller running gear than the 250/360/400 series. I think you'll have better luck looking at the IT175 ( most likely not the IT200, too many changes) and the MX175 that they offered briefly. The MX series was halfway between the YZs and the DT/CT series, and was basically an uprated DT175 with no lights for play/woods/etc. Far better in that role than the YZs people used to use. You're most likely better off seeing about getting the entire bike when you find what works. Buying the whole thing is often cheaper than buying it piece by piece. That's where I'd start.

This most likely belongs under vintage, but I don't care.