Sign in to follow this  

Help I am stuck at trail. Bike will not start.

pressing the kill switch will close the loop so if you remove the switch the bike will still run. If you have a spark it is not your kill switch. Is it flooded? Was it running before?

I took off the tank and chased the wires to find nothing.

Another great guy came along and started to take out the carb. and found a paper towel must have got sucked in enough to kill/stop all air flow. I had put the paper towel in the night before when cleaning the airbox, etc and forgot about it.

DOH!

Thank you for your reply.

Yep that'll do it! Good thing is you'll probably never do it again!

I don't trust myself, so whenever I stick a paper towel or something in there, I always leave a corner sticking out so I can easily see it.

Wow, epic. And why is this in the engineering forum??

why are half the threads in the engineering forum not engineering related?

i think people think theyll get a bettter answer here, which is probably true.

Pushing the kill switch shorts the power to the ignition system to ground.

But what often happens is the wiring for the kill switch, or the kill switch, develops a short to ground which kills the ignition system.

I took off the tank and chased the wires to find nothing.

Another great guy came along and started to take out the carb. and found a paper towel must have got sucked in enough to kill/stop all air flow. I had put the paper towel in the night before when cleaning the airbox, etc and forgot about it.

DOH!

Thank you for your reply.

Suzuki, 1st of all....We all have done stupid stuff like this on our bikes and one time or another. We get busy and forget stuff we have done and forget to undo them. 2ndly, if your gonna post this on TT expect to get Razzed. Just be sure to laugh with us!! Thanks for the laugh!

I went riding with a friend 4 hours away from home. At the trailhead his bike started and died 5 seconds later. We tried for hours to start the bike and finally found a sock behind his airfilter. We figured it out when it got sucked under the slide and it wouldn't close all the way. It's one of the first things I mention when someones bike will not start. Funny stuff!

Suzuki, 1st of all....We all have done stupid stuff like this on our bikes and one time or another. We get busy and forget stuff we have done and forget to undo them. 2ndly, if your gonna post this on TT expect to get Razzed. Just be sure to laugh with us!! Thanks for the laugh!

No problem.

I figured I may get ribed for it. But I figured I owed it to tell the people that tried to help me and also to help others in the future!

I maybe head strong and stubborn at times and not want to admit my faults but at the same time I think others may learn from my mistakes.

That was a great DOH moment..we've all had em. I rode with a BMW mechanic and on one ride he forgot his air filter...he remembered it 5 minutes into the ride when the motor sounded different.

The very next ride he forgot to put oil in it, not good on a CRF450. He stopped just in time on that one too.:lol:

When I leave something undone on a bike I zip a tie wrap on the handlebar grip to remind me that I need to do something.