Sign in to follow this  

chain tightened up

I saw a previous thread on this about a chain tightening after riding. The rider was in the desert so the thought was that sand got into the chain and gunked it up. The slack should come back after a wash. It makes sense to me, the MX track I was on was fairly sandy so I will give it a wash and see. My concern is on the motor. I know a tight chain wears on sprockets but what strain have I put on the motor? I just rebuilt the darn thing. The bike was pretty hard to push with the chain in that condition and I may have been riding for hours like that. Any motor damage done??

More than the motor I'd be worrying about rear wheel bearings and hubs.. If your chain is adjusted properly in the first place it shouldn't tighten up during a ride.. Most people don't really understand proper chain tension and how to set it up..

More than the motor I'd be worrying about rear wheel bearings and hubs.. If your chain is adjusted properly in the first place it shouldn't tighten up during a ride.. Most people don't really understand proper chain tension and how to set it up..

And you can blow the seal out of the drive sprocket if you chain is to tight...

Yikes, neither of those sound fun. I pay attention to the chain and tension regularly, this was definitely an unusual event, the first time I have ever seen it tighten up like that. I will check it all out.