Sign in to follow this  

RIP...another one bites the dust. RMC

Not a rider thankfully but another bike shop has closed its doors. RMC (AKA Renton Motorcycle) has closed its doors leaving a huge gap in the Seattle area bike market. RMC was the largest motorcycle dealer in Washington State and all the Northwest US and will be missed by everyone. This shop sold and serviced Honda, Suzuki, Yamaha, Star, Beta, and others and sold more bikes than every other dealer. We will miss the chance to eat at the upstairs restaurant (which is still open) and look out over the huge showroom. I have seen as many as 20 new motorcycles lined up with paperwork headed out the door...amazing stuff but times have been hard for the last couple years. Bob Lamphere still owns the Harley shop next to his RMC and it is still open for the time being. He is moving his Honda Car dealership into the huge motorcycle space. There was a time when they had an indoor motocross track to test ride your bike before buying. What a loss and I feel for the dozens of families that are now missing the income of a nice job in an industry they loved.

I hate to be morbid but feel free to post up any similar stories of your local shops that have closed in recent years. It would be interesting to hear if other areas have fallen as hard as the Seattle area.

Support the old established M/C dealers that are still in business and only have 1 place of business.

I feel bad for RMC but remember Lamphere is a business man, has lots of stores, only opened the RMC mega-store a few years ago and is doing what is best for his business interests.

I agree...hopefully he will save some jobs of other businesses he is running by making this move. I was told by one of the RMC people that the bikes are being sent to his sister store in oregon for sale there.

Times are tough...Here in Australia ,bike shops are barely keeping their head above water due to lack of business...

Part of what's hurting them is local and worldwide Internet sales...

For example...Purchasing a 41mm fcr from the U.S is approx. 1/2 the price for the same purchased here in OZ....

I have a long time mate that owns a shop and his mark up of goods is minimal, he tells me it's the importers that are making the big bucks..His wholesale buying price is often more than what anyone can land that same item to the door from overseas..

This was lame :).... no warning just poof... you don't have a job or local shop anymore :lol:

I hope all 25 employees find work fast

Yes Deb.. That sucks...The world could do with a lot less poofs ......:banghead:

Not a rider thankfully but another bike shop has closed its doors. RMC (AKA Renton Motorcycle) has closed its doors leaving a huge gap in the Seattle area bike market. RMC was the largest motorcycle dealer in Washington State and all the Northwest US and will be missed by everyone. This shop sold and serviced Honda, Suzuki, Yamaha, Star, Beta, and others and sold more bikes than every other dealer. We will miss the chance to eat at the upstairs restaurant (which is still open) and look out over the huge showroom. I have seen as many as 20 new motorcycles lined up with paperwork headed out the door...amazing stuff but times have been hard for the last couple years. Bob Lamphere still owns the Harley shop next to his RMC and it is still open for the time being. He is moving his Honda Car dealership into the huge motorcycle space. There was a time when they had an indoor motocross track to test ride your bike before buying. What a loss and I feel for the dozens of families that are now missing the income of a nice job in an industry they loved.

I hate to be morbid but feel free to post up any similar stories of your local shops that have closed in recent years. It would be interesting to hear if other areas have fallen as hard as the Seattle area.

Looked like a great place when I visited last month.:lol: Truly sad, indeed. :banghead:

Here are some photos I took with my cellphone while I visited Gramma at the pub upstairs on Nov. 18th. This is just the Japanese section of the place. There is a separate Harley in another part of the lot, and then some. :)

utf-8BYWFybWMxLmpwZw.jpg

utf-8BYWFybWMyLmpwZw.jpg

utf-8BYWFybWMzLmpwZw.jpg

utf-8BYWFybWM0LmpwZw.jpg

utf-8BYWFybWM1LmpwZw.jpg

utf-8BYWFybWM3LmpwZw.jpg