Sign in to follow this  

before you put on that loud pipe read this

If good fences make good neighbors — as the poet Robert Frost once wrote — what do loud motorcycles make?

A half-dozen residents from the Vineland area came to the Pueblo County commissioners Thursday asking for help in stopping one landowner from operating an off-road motorcycle track on property that adjoins or is close to their homes.

The noise and the clouds of dust thrown up by the dirt bikes are a chronic problem, they told commissioners. And it doesn't help that several Pueblo County sheriff's deputies have been at the off-road track watching their family members ride, they claimed.

"We can't even have a barbecue in our backyard because of the noise and dirt," said Karen Hoopes, a neighbor who lives on Daniels Road.

When Hoopes asked how many people in the audience had come to join her complaint about noise and dust, a half-dozen stood up.

The neighbors in question live on Everett Road. They did not return telephone calls about the dispute. But sheriff's officials at the commissioners' meeting Thursday indicated they were familiar with the dispute.

It's a classic face-off between property owners. One side wants peace and quiet. The other wants to use their land as they see fit, even if that is as a dirt track.

Gary Raso, the county's land-use attorney, tried to show the commissioners a legal path through the dispute. The county traditionally has been reluctant to limit landowners' right to use their property, but if other people are bringing dirt bikes to the track, then the landowner needs to have a special-use permit, Raso said.

"And if the noise exceeds a certain threshold, it can be considered a public nuisance," he said.

Charlene Graham, chief of the sheriff's law enforcement bureau, said the department has recently received decibel meters for measuring noise levels. The commissioners recommended, and Graham agreed, the noise meters should be placed on the properties around the dirt track.

"We really can't act until there's been some kind of determination that there is a violation," Commission Chairman John Cordova advised the neighbors at the hearing.

That may be tougher than the commissioners realize, Hoopes told them. With sheriff's deputies sometimes at the dirt track, it's hard to phone in a complaint about the number of riders without tipping off the offending parties.

"I'm sure they listen to the police scanner because when we call in a complaint, the motorcycle riders seem to disappear," she said.

From Pueblo chieftain

if they are watching their families, or riding, i doubt they are sitting in their truck/whatever vehicle and listening to scanners.

Though I cant take either side, I can see the arguments from both sides... Though, how far can kicked up dust really go? I understand if they are pretty close to the track, but i dunno.. i doubt theyd be dumb enough to make a track if they were right next door?.. then again, i know a bunch of 4 strokes will carry for a good distance..

either way, hope it gets solved. A really really good (actual motocross, natural terrain here) got closed for the same reasons after like 15 years, when some new people moved in and started to complain... now it's only used for crmc competitions and the practice, no public use... which sucks, was easiest the best track with in hours from here being mostly natural =( i miss you ste-julie track! :lol:

This has nothing to do with noise and all about nimbyism.

Do you really think if their bikes were quieter they wouldn't be complaining?

exactly :lol:

There's truth on both sides of this. On the one hand we are ambassadors of the motorcycle community every time we ride. On the other hand the greenies are rabid believers of a mantra that continually plays in their heads. Never mind that the science behind Global Warming was vigorously slanted, we'll just call it Climate Change now. On the one hand it's impossible to satisfy them, and on the other hand we'd be idiots if we drew attention to ourselves when we could have avoided it.

Exactly. People just want something to complain about. Put anything out of the norm into a neighborhood, even if it makes no noise and by comparison, people will bitch, cry, and moan non stop.

I think they should get a permit to make it a land fill and then ask the neighbors if they like the track. Joking aside they could come up with a plan that limits use to certain days and see if that will quiet the neghbors complaints. A plan to wet the track (for dust control) and enforce noise limits would be my next step if that did not get a positive reactiion.

Sounds a bit like personal justification for making your bike louder. Whether or not the complaint would exist without the excessive noise is irrelevant. The claim will not hold up in a legal proceeding without being able to prove that a violation exists, and the only violation they can use is the noise level.

Keep it quiet, so we can keep riding.

"We can't even have a barbecue in our backyard because of the noise and dirt,"

WTFFFF?!? That + food is my barbecue!

as quiet as we'd all like to be, let's be honest here. even an mx bike with the most choked down of mufflers is still going to create enough noise for pesky neighbors to bitch. many stock exhausts are even louder than aftermarket. however, none of us really know the circumstances. having a video would be great.

damn good for nothing kill joys is what i say. they're not having a really good barbecue if some tractor sounding noises in the background bothers them that much. hell, they should be making more noise than the bikes is what i say. :lol:

There are always those who can't stand to see other people having a good time, but as long as we can associate noise with bikes, we give them ammunition. Loud pipes, even at an MX race, put nails in the coffins of bike enjoyment.

We will never convince the unreasonable people, but we can try to pacify moderate folks by not being too obnoxious.

This is also a very large farming area. Do they get dirt and noise from the farmers? I am sure they do.

depending on the type of farm, possibly smells too. a lot of farms in the a few towns over from where i live will reek like manure for quite a distance. :)

what i'd like to know is if they had an OEM exhaust, or if they had either quieter or louder exhausts than OEM. also how often they are riding there, surely they can't ride every day..can they? i guess if you REALLY love riding. i also wonder if the people with the track had it years before other homes were developed in the area, or if they came into the picture later on.

oh the joys of all the reasons that people hate us. there's too many reckless people in this world now. i miss when there were sand pits/tracks EVERYWHERE and not once did anyone complain. until kids started partying and trashing the place. of course us mx riders got blamed and now all those places i used to ride at when i was still riding an xr70 are gone. :lol:

however, we have never been cited for excessive noise where we used to ride. the tracks were sorta out of the way. we heeded the warning from the EP officer to not ride at all the places he told us, which just so happened to be almost all of our riding spots! the reason for him kicking us out was they were trying to catch whoever was dumping large amounts of trash at the track. that, and being an insurance risk.

Sounds a bit like personal justification for making your bike louder. Whether or not the complaint would exist without the excessive noise is irrelevant. The claim will not hold up in a legal proceeding without being able to prove that a violation exists, and the only violation they can use is the noise level.

Actualy I race offroad and my bikes test at 96db and are SA :lol:

Just stating the facts.

I can see both side of the problem. I have a small track just outside of town and haven't had many complaints but Im not a big fan of loud pipes either. I think a lot of guys are ignorant and think that a loud pipe makes them faster,cooler or whatever. That includes pickup trucks, Harleys and quads etc...

Recently, my daughter participated in a outdoor horse show. During the show a guy on a 250 or 450 four stroke rode up and down the property line right next to the event. It was pretty loud and annoying, not a track just a field and there was plenty of space for him to ride farther away from the show. This type of ignorance makes the responsible riders look bad. He did move away from the event after it was suggested to him that he do so.

Quieter the better...and yes some people will complain reguardless.

Edited by Benhameen
I cant spelll

I agree that we should respect neighbours especially those who are not dirtbikers as they are less likely to be understanding

But, as said before, people often moan and complain purely cause its a bike, and you are having fun,

We had a neighbour complain about some kids riding a small electric bike saying it was dangerous, if it had a petrol engine the complaint would have been it was noisy............