Sign in to follow this  

FmF powerbomb w/stock mid pipe muffler..

I can't seem to find the thread that went into fitting a powerbomb header to the stock drz sm mid pipe. I realize the stock muff pipe has to be enlarged to fit the larger dia header.

My question is do I need a clamp of some sort where the pipes join? I think i remember that a clamp off an E model might work? Or would a good stainless generic clamp work? Do you guys use a high temp Rtv silicone at the joint??

Thanks in advance..

I can't seem to find the thread that went into fitting a powerbomb header to the stock drz sm mid pipe. I realize the stock muff pipe has to be enlarged to fit the larger dia header.

My question is do I need a clamp of some sort where the pipes join? I think i remember that a clamp off an E model might work? Or would a good stainless generic clamp work? Do you guys use a high temp Rtv silicone at the joint??

Thanks in advance..

I could have sworn that the stock pipe fits the powerbomb header...and the powerbomb header to the stock midpipe doesnt make sense to me, arent they the same part? If your going to do this, buy and e header header pipe, cheaper alternative that provides the same amount of extra power as the powerbomb fmf header pipe. The restriction on the drz is not by the muffler but because of the headerpipe on the s/sm models...

Just mic"ed both pipes, stock is 38.5mm,, fmf is 41.5mm.. I would have gone with an oem header but I already got the fmf for a great price. My buddie works at a shop, so I got his cost plus he owed my some $$ for a couple of mnt bike tires I gave him..

Can anyone comment on how much muffler shops charge to enlarge the stock mid pipe? Or which clamp they are using??

I know this thread is a little different but try not to ask the same question in different threads. The previous thread has a lot of people subscribed to it so they will eventually answer your questions.

I use about 4 ft of bare solid 16 gauge copper wire, wrapped it around the header and then soddered it together. Works great no leak no sealent. You can also use aluminum duct work tape (not the gray duct tape) for use on forced air furnaces I've used pop cans but not with good results, some leaking and kind of a pain to work with. I never took my pipe to a muffler shop, but some people do, just the gasket needs to be thinner.

If the FMF header was on an E model DRZ you will have to cut it a little shorter. If I remember correctly I cut 3/4 of an inch off the end.

I could have sworn that the stock pipe fits the powerbomb header...and the powerbomb header to the stock midpipe doesnt make sense to me, arent they the same part? If your going to do this, buy and e header header pipe, cheaper alternative that provides the same amount of extra power as the powerbomb fmf header pipe. The restriction on the drz is not by the muffler but because of the headerpipe on the s/sm models...

I can confirm that the fmf header does not fit into the stock muffler. I want to throw back on a stock muffler on with the fmf head pipe. I've been losing too many places to ride. That and no leaves on the tree, the exhaust really carries. Was thinking about taking to a muffler shop as well