Sign in to follow this  

2003 tundra oil leak from upward pointing tube?

i've had this truck for 156,000 miles, about 25-30% of that towing a big camp trailer. Just noticed motor oil dripping from the left side. I'm pretty confident it just started yesterday, because I would notice it where I park. It appears to have dripped from one of two upward pointing rubber tubes that are on the driver's left side of the motor and dripping down onto the axle and thence to the ground. Naturally, I have no idea what these tubes are there for. the cap on one of them seems slightly loose.

it looked to me like it dripped more yesterday (while i was out shooting) than it has since i got home. any ideas? All i drove yesterday was 11 miles out to the dez to shoot, and then back. temps were in the low 20's overnight, but that's pretty normal for here.

thanks for any assistance.

LLama, on the 4.7, I cant think of anything that "leaks oil" that we have seen, especially on that side (drivers/left hand side). Could the oil filter be loose and blowing backwards and dripping from that area? We havent seen any oil leaks on that engine. In about 2006ish, we did see some small oil leaks at the rear crank area, it was too little RTV sealer on the rear crank seal plate. The seal was always fine. In 03, nothing. I'll look at the next one that runs through my stall, see if I can see what you speak of. I know the P/S pump is on the other side, maybe its PS lines??? I'll check and report back. Upward pointing tube may be in fact the dipstick for the engine oil and there is a small o-ring at the base if it. I'd bet that is the tube you speak of.

LLama, on the 4.7, I cant think of anything that "leaks oil" that we have seen, especially on that side (drivers/left hand side). Could the oil filter be loose and blowing backwards and dripping from that area? We havent seen any oil leaks on that engine. In about 2006ish, we did see some small oil leaks at the rear crank area, it was too little RTV sealer on the rear crank seal plate. The seal was always fine. In 03, nothing. I'll look at the next one that runs through my stall, see if I can see what you speak of. I know the P/S pump is on the other side, maybe its PS lines??? I'll check and report back. Upward pointing tube may be in fact the dipstick for the engine oil and there is a small o-ring at the base if it. I'd bet that is the tube you speak of.

Lol, even a clueless dork like me knows which is the dipstick. There are two rubber tubes fastened to the inside of the fender coming up from somewhere, not all that far from the oil filler. I drove out and went shooting again and it didn't seem to leak anymore. Maybe I'll take a pic of the spot in question. It looks like it could be some kind of blow-off valve or something (?) I did rock the truck around pretty good in some ruts right before I first noticed it.

Ok, got an 06 on my hoist now, the only thing I can see on the drivers side other than the dipstick that would have oil in it is a pair of vents tubes for the front diff (4X4). They start out as metal pipe, then have a rubber hose attatched to it. I suspect you in rugged terrain, may have gotten the front diff oil a little warm, then the tossing aroind side to side, some of that may have ended up in the vent tube (technically normal). You mention its settled down, I suspect thats all it was. To check the front diff, the fill level plug uses a 10mm allen, so does the drain (bottom of diff) you could check the level, but if it was a small amount, no need to even worry about it.

thanks. i'll see if i can tell where those tubes actually go to when I get home, and verify that it's not leaking anymore. What I saw was total of a tablespoon or two, so i'm not too stressed about the level.

Clean it off with some brake clean and re-check it in a day or two and look for new leaks

OK Llama, got part of the picture of your front diff vent from the repair manual, I have the vent hose circled. Its metal to that joint, then rubber hose and it goes up to the inside inner fender, engine room, drivers side area (kinda under the back of the battery) and stops with a small metal breather cap on the end so dirt doesnt get in it. Secured to the inner fender with plastic clip.

llama.jpg

If its that, do as the other poster said, squirt it with brake cleaner, that will get rid of any oily residue it left behind.

That sounds exactly like it. It's still not dripping anymore. Guess I didn't realize I was getting so wild with the 4wheeling action, lol.