Drilling my baffle out, size question??

I'm working on drilling my baffle out at the moment, and I've seen the sizes 11/16ths and 7/8ths.. Those maybe close to the same, I don't know. My question is the biggest size I have laying around the garage is a 3/8's. Is this ok to use for now? Is any size hole better than no hole at all? Later on I will break down and go buy one, but for now I'm tryn not to leave the house before I go out riding. And will I have to re-jet if I drill this?

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm working on drilling my baffle out at the moment, and I've seen the sizes 11/16ths and 7/8ths.. Those maybe close to the same, I don't know. My question is the biggest size I have laying around the garage is a 3/8's. Is this ok to use for now? Is any size hole better than no hole at all? Later on I will break down and go buy one, but for now I'm tryn not to leave the house before I go out riding. And will I have to re-jet if I drill this?

A 3/8ths will work but you might as well just pull out the baffle and go riding if your not worried about the noise level. One option -- just take a hack saw and cut the end off. Here in Ca. we have a tool company called Harbor Freight. Not sure if they are in your neck of the woods. They sell individual bits that are not to expensive. They also carry a Step Bit that will do the job and its around $10.00

What year is your bike and is noise a concern? Because I would highly recommend taking out the whole baffle, better in everyway?

Its an 07 and i'm not to worried about the noise, i just heard it gets a bit annoying... I'm gonna put a tip on it, but that wont be here til xmas:banana:

I dont think its annoying I love it!!!

One thing is though that I know the 04-06 baffles slide right out after taking out a simple screw, I think they fised it on the 07's so people would stop doing it...It makes the bike loud but its still a little quieter than a track bike.

Its an 07 and i'm not to worried about the noise, i just heard it gets a bit annoying... I'm gonna put a tip on it, but that wont be here til xmas:banana:

I just took, mine out (2 screws) and drilled 11/16ths out. I reved it w/ the drilled baffle and without it.. It was 10x as loud without it, and about 10x louder than my rmz450 or kxf250.. They did both have full fmf and yoshi systems on them, but wow, loud, not good sounding at all. I miss that sweet purr from those after markets! It sounded the same w/ the drilled baffle in, maybe a tad deeper and mor elike a 250 and not an xr100 like w/ it not drilled: P

JFTR, your bike will run better and actually be faster if you leave the baffle in and leave it intact.

JayC

That is correct, there is no preformance gains from butchering the stock exhaust. That's the moto mentality, if it's loud as hell I must be flying. Sure an R cam and exhaust will boost it a little but just cutting up your exhaust will only get you kicked out of your riding area. (and everyone else too) less sound=more ground

That is correct, there is no preformance gains from butchering the stock exhaust. That's the moto mentality, if it's loud as hell I must be flying. Sure an R cam and exhaust will boost it a little but just cutting up your exhaust will only get you kicked out of your riding area. (and everyone else too) less sound=more ground
JFTR, your bike will run better and actually be faster if you leave the baffle in and leave it intact.

JayC

Not wanting to start an argument, but it does make a difference. Even Honda's CCC bulletin recommends taking out the diffuser, but that is for Closed Course Competition (CCC) only. Engines are basically air pumps. If you open up the airbox it takes in more air, but this does no good if it can't get it out. With stock restrictive airbox snorkel, I agree, no reason to drill it.

On the flip side of the performance gains, loud exhausts are one reason why we lose more and more riding areas every year.? So a good compromise is to drill the diffuser. Allows the engine to really breath, without making it loud enough to attract the attention of your local rangers or tree-huggers.

I just cut the inside end plate off of my diffuser, essentially opening up the end of it. When I twist the grip it has a nice throaty sound, but does not attract the attention of USFS Rangers. Trust me, I have pulled up to one to chat and he didn't say a word about the sound, which is definitely not the whisper-quiet stock purr.

I modded the diffuser at the same time as doing lots of other mods, so can't tell you how much difference this mod by itself made, but it sure sounds better without being overly loud.

Thanks for all yalls opinions! Lastnight I drilled it out, but I think I will cut the piece off, wasn't sure if I could! So far I've done the pink wire, drilled baffle, and airbox mods. Today I picked up my jetting, 45p, 152main, per my tuner (the Ride Shop) picked up 2 Maxxis tires 80/100/21 and 110/100/18 SM-SI. Rekluse Z-Start, 05 250R head pipe Sun, PIAA headlight, fork bleeders, and 13/51 chain/sprockets and skid plate for xmas! How do yall think I'm doin so far? I'll be getting it all on by Mon! Then the rest I guess for xmas!

2R Tip!

Thanks for all yalls opinions! Lastnight I drilled it out, but I think I will cut the piece off, wasn't sure if I could! So far I've done the pink wire, drilled baffle, and airbox mods. Today I picked up my jetting, 45p, 152main, per my tuner (the Ride Shop) picked up 2 Maxxis tires 80/100/21 and 110/100/18 SM-SI. Rekluse Z-Start, 05 250R head pipe Sun, PIAA headlight, fork bleeders, and 13/51 chain/sprockets and skid plate for xmas! How do yall think I'm doin so far? I'll be getting it all on by Mon! Then the rest I guess for xmas!