Sign in to follow this  

help with spring rate for lighter rider

hi, i just bought a used 07 yz250f all stock, only 10 hours on it, i weigh 140 with no equipment, i race c class, do you think i will need to respring it, what weight is the stock suspension good for

Edited by roostierooster855

what year is your bike?my sons weigh 130 and 135.we use a 5.1 on the rear and this is on a 2010 yr model,fork springs are stock with a slight valving change.the rear shocks are also valved for a A rider that races mx and a bit of ax.my 08 and 09 are running a 4.9 rear spring and a valve stack that dave j came-up with.the fork ics springs are 1.4,the main springs are .42kg,and are set up with the ddt,clover shim and epnp,with daves oil.this set-up is a bit softer than the 2010 stuff we run,but really works well on rough tracks.but a bit to soft for ax.

its a 07, i think stock spring rates are Fork: 0.43 kg Shock:5.1 kg, if i cant get the sag set right then i need a softer springs right, im just wondering in general if ill need new springs for shure or what not,

this is what mx tech told me from there online spring calculator

Stock Spring Rates:

Fork: 0.43 kgmm

Shock: 5.1 kgmm

Recommended Spring Rates:

Fork: 0.40 kg/mm

Shock: 4.7 kg/mm

is that a big change, i mean im growing and stuff and i dont see spending the money on that if its i wont notice, really im asking will stock be ok if i can get the sag right and clickers, how do you know if you have to respring....

Hmm, cant help cuz im not sure, but rather then start a thread to ask this, I am wondering how much this matters to novice-intermediate riders. I only trail ride, id consider myself an able rider, def not great, but I dont fall constantly. Lot of the trails get pretty whooped out both in and out of corners on the straights etc.

I have an '01 WR250F, stock suspension, I weigh 185-190 right now, but by riding season next yr i plan to be back to 165ish...i always buckle down in jan and go on a weight loss stint heading into summer, lol...I am also not very tall, roughly 5'8ish. SO having the bike sink a lil helps me touch better when stopped HAHA. I dont need to be flat footed.

But, should I consider evaluating my suspension? It worth it? Would i notice enough difference in say 5-6 trail ride weekends a season that I can do. Also, does this entail me rebuilding suspension with new components, or can i make some adjustments and increase my performance at my weight (say 170-175lbs geared up). Not much of a suspension tech, one thing on bikes i didnt mess with often.

did set the sag yet

If you feel you are still growing and are getting faster, I would suggest .44 fork and .48 shock springs to get you setup for the next while.

When you get a chance to setup your sag with full gear on, please report back with your static sag numbers.

i have a set of .44 fork springs and a 5.1 titanium shock spring if you ever need em,i would sell cheap.also got a stock exhaust and a full rocket system off of my 08.i am very familiar with these bikes,my sons have raced them since 05.if you need some susp work just let me know,i am a retires bike mechanic and racer.i keep all the suspension parts and shims at my shop.pm me if you need any help or advice on your yammie.peace and wheelies.

ok just got a quote from a local shop called tech care suspension, they said the cheapest way to do everything would be 318 bucks, pretty stuned on the price, they said that would be new fork seals oil springs ummm dampning spring i think there called....... is that pretty good on price i think it is, i asked him again im like is that total and he said yeah soooo i guess it is?