Sign in to follow this  

help me please

just bought some 2011xc forks to update the '08. when i went to align the forks and compress them they kept getting stuck in the same spot. i compressed them multiple times to see if they were just that out of wack. never got any better and they get stuck about half way through the travel. any idea's?

:lol:
slacken the right hand axle pinch bolts and bounce it again, it will become free - then tighten them back up

just loosen the pinch bolts compressed the forks 30 times and they are still sticking. they are smooth then pretty much hit a soft wall and stick til i push down and pull back up and then they return to how they set. any other suggestions?

I would loosen the bottom triple clamp, then give it a sit and push, then retighten. That always seems to bring things back into alignment after a spill.

Are the forks stock or had seals & bushing replaced? R/S fork bound up, worn bushings or something gone wrong inside can cause this.

Check for fork bind like this......

(1) Install both forks and set fork height using calipers or a ruler. It is important that fork height be exactly the same for both sides. Tighten pinch bolts to the proper specs (Top: 18 Ft-Lbs | Lower: 15 Ft-Lbs).

(2)Before installing axle make sure the end of it (and the edge of axle hole) has not been "mushroomed" from hitting it with a metal hammer. If theres any lip on the axle it must be ground off or fork will bind. Also if need a round file will fix up the axle hole.

(3)Install the axle (use rubber or plastic hammer only) and tighten the axle nut to proper spec. If the axle turns while tightening the nut, tighten one right side axle pinch bolt to hold axle in place.

(4)Tighten both left side axle pinch bolts to spec (17 Ft-Lbs).

(5)With the left side axle pinch bolts and axle nut tightened, loosen the right side axle pinch bolts. Take a small flat head screwdriver and carefully tap it into the slot between the two right side axle pinch bolts. This will enlarge the axle hole. You will then be able to grab the bottom of the right side fork tube and push it in and pull it out freely. You will be able to SEE the fork settle naturally into position on the axle without binding.

(6) Remove the screwdriver and tighten the right side axle pinch bolts to spec (17 Ft-Lbs).

If you're wondering if your forks are currently bound up, put your bike on a stand and start this procedure at Step 5.

doc