Sign in to follow this  

Got a FunnelWeb Filter for my KTM...

A few weeks ago I stumbled across this amazing looking air filter while looking for parts for my bike. A few days later I had this sitting on my desk.

IMG_0109.jpg

IMG_0111.jpg

IMG_0112.jpg

IMG_0110.jpg

FWF is a sponsor of the Australian Motorex KTM Off Road and Motocross Race Teams, these filters were developed with KTM before they were available to the public... good enough for me and my bike. Plus, I figured I could get myself a better seal with the urethane seal.

IMG_0117.jpg

Looks a bit bigger than my factory filter. They claim that the FWF has a much larger surface area compared to the stocker. I figured it was just a gimick until...

IMG_0121.jpg

...until I ran out of filter oil. This thing soaks up SO MUCH filter oil! Found another can of PJ1 on my chemical shelf, got it into my bike.

IMG_0124.jpg

IMG_0128.jpg

...got it buttoned up...

IMG_0125.jpg

and spent the rest of the day riding...

IMG_0141.jpg

I've used aftermarket filters on every vehicle I've owned, and most of the dirt bikes I've owned. I've seen filters from BMC, ITG, K&N, Pipercross, and plenty other manufacturers. The composition of this filter is as good as any filter I've seen. The performance of the filter (increased surface area with the pyramids for flow/filtration) is better than the stocker without question. The filter performance coupled with the urethane seal makes this an actual upgrade rather than a replacement... every bike I own and actually care about will have one of these filters.

I really can't comment on a power difference as my 300 still surprises/amazes me each time I'm on it. Maybe you can ask all the Australian Pro's that run it. And win.

• Like 1

so where did you order it from? i would like to try one too, if they make them for my bikes.

Nice looking,$51.55 for a 2012 KTM 250 sx filter.Nice web site also.funnelwebfilter.com.

take a picture of it dirty, wont all the air (and dirt) be drawn to the easiest path, that wont be the little pyramids

I'm not an engineer and I didn't sleep anywhere different last night, but it seems to me that the real serface area is the smooth surface on the inside. There could be convolutions an inch high on the outside, but ALL of the airflow is going to pass through the smooth inner surface. Methinks you've found a filter that requires and wastes a lot of filter oil.

Hmmmm...I'm thinkin gimmick. Any dyno runs?

It still has to get through it...I'm sure the extra surface area picks up more swirling dust, but that just contributes to the total amount of particulates that have a chance of navigating the maze to the 'other side'. In the case of a particle trapped out high in the matrix(tip of a spike), it would experience less vaccuum than a particle at the base of a 'spike'...therefore making for spots of higher vaccuum, where a particle may have a better chance of navigating to the 'other side'

It would be interesting to talk to the engineer about his calculations of surface area, flow, airbox volume etc, to see how this would effect them.

Looks cool though! :lol:

even if it's only more surface area on one side of the filter that's still a good thing. more area to disperse the trapped dirt.

Dust and particulate do not concentrate in a waffle like grid on this filter and move to the lowest point like some would think, it sticks evenly to the face of the pyramids. There is 'catch' on each pyramid on all 4 sides.

I'm sure a quick email to www.funnelwebfilter.com.au would answer some questions, I'll see if I can get some answers about dynos, flow, etc.

IMHO, this filter has performed better than the stock unit. Sorry no dirty pics, bike got a full cleaning after my last ride- it's getting cold and I've got a family that wants to see me at some point;)

I wouldn't mind having one for my 2011 YZ450 but the FWF they have for mine doesn't have the spider on it

I guess I wont get it

Dust and particulate do not concentrate in a waffle like grid on this filter and move to the lowest point like some would think, it sticks evenly to the face of the pyramids. There is 'catch' on each pyramid on all 4 sides.

I'm sure a quick email to www.funnelwebfilter.com.au would answer some questions, I'll see if I can get some answers about dynos, flow, etc.

IMHO, this filter has performed better than the stock unit. Sorry no dirty pics, bike got a full cleaning after my last ride- it's getting cold and I've got a family that wants to see me at some point;)

did you have to rejet when you switched to this filter?

I didn't have to rejet for this filter. I don't think more air is getting into the carb with this filter, I just think it's going to offer better filtration without sacrificing flow.

Rather than speculate, I figured I'd email FWF with a collective of questions from posts people made on here. I also asked if they had any pictures of their filters after race use... here is a cut/paste from their response email:

Air Flow

Increasing one surface area will not increase the air flow of a clean filter. By the same token it doesn’t decrease it either.

It is when the filter is loaded with dirt that it becomes an issue.

The dirt trapped by the filter is spread over a larger surface area meaning both longer service intervals, and much less air flow restriction due to dirt build up.

We don’t have dyno or air flow comparisons because clean filters show little difference and it is impossible fairly comparing two dirty filters.

Dirt Retention

I’ve attached photos of a filter which was fitted to the KTM SX-F 450 which won the 2009 Finke Desert Rally out in the red dust around Alice Springs in the Northern Territory.

The images are typical of how the profiled foam arrest the dirt and is what proved to me that the concept actually works.

As you can see from the photo of the sectioned filter, the pyramids eat the dirt and keep it out of the main body of the filter.

The aim is to keep the dirt on the surface of the filter away from its inside.

FinkeDesertRace2009.jpg

FinkeDesertRace2009Sectioned1.jpg

• Like 2

the million dollar question, will it fall apart when I wash it with gas

Looks interesting, but for roughly twice the price of a regular twin stage filter I think I will just stick with having a brand new filter twice as often.