Sign in to follow this  

2001cr250, suspension or frame?

I have a question for anybody that can answer. Is the handle bar shock from the early twin cartrige showas or the gen 2 frame? Can the early showas be valved to work as well as latter years. We can get the shocks to work well even over small stuff and not deflect but there is always more feedback through the bars as compared to later year cr's ( after 2005)

Could be 10,000 different things. you are working on a 10 year old bike. What is the maintenance like? bearings? wheels?

when is the last time you have serviced the suspension?

have you ever sprung it for you weight?

set the sag properly?

I could keep listing issues. there are diferences in the 05+ forks like the axle location which changes the offset. Internals also but just swapping to newer parts may not solve your issues.

bike is in excelent shape. It is not mine though. suspension has been revalved several times by competent people and forks are seviced regular. It has correct springs. We have been told that the early twin showas were just that way compared to newer or that it is becuase the frame is to stiff. My buddy wouldn't be opposed to buying newer forks and having them revalved if it would help. He likes everything else about the bike. I would even consider buying one and setting up for woods but I just don't like the feed back through the bars. Is it something you have to live with or has anybody been able to remove most of this.

Hopefully someone else chimes in, but I would say get someone else to revalve the suspension for you. Doesnt seem like they have been working for you.

You also can put the time into the learning of how to do it yourself. Also checking a few different online spring calculators.

What springs do you have there? Main and ICS? What weight is the rider?what is the sag set at?

I have a 02CR125 and the chasis although being larger than my CRF frame especially in the spars, it has no problem handling. I did saw to the late model CRF forks for the better dampning and moved the axle back 2mm. Stock still did not have handling issues.

for the record the bike handles great. It has been revalved by very good tuners a couple of times. It is not my bike also but I have ridden it. The front just has to much feed back through the bars. the springs are correct for weight. I also have some understanding of suspension. We have been told by numerous people that on these bikes with the early showa twin cartrige you will always get more feed back, even when valved properly compared to the later, 2005 and after showas. Have had a couple of people say it was frame for those years. Has anybody put newer showas on their 2000-2001 and noticed less feed back or is it just a waist of money.

I think the '01 and '02 CR's used basically the same fork. When I had my suspension done by DeVol they talked me out of the newer cartridges. They felt they really had a good valving set-up for the earlier forks.

I'm pretty pleased with how my suspension works, but my suspension is not quite as plush as my Bro's '06 YZ250 (what is though). But the feedback I get isn't what I consider excessive. For the plushest woods set-up I would consider a fork set from a CRF-X bike, the changed axle offset may or may not be a good thing. Another option may be to just replace the cartridges for the later style.

I had some 04 crf250x forks that I used on my 2000 cr250. They kicked ass in the rocky technical trails, but would blow through all of the travel on hard landings. I also had the stock 2000 forks revalved by Factory Connection and swapped them back and forth with the X forks. Landing jumps the '00 forks rocked but never even came close to the plushness on square edged bumps of the X forks. I think hooking yourself up with the newer forks is the way to go. Depending on the terrain that you ride most of the time either look for some X forks or R forks for a good starting point(valving and spring rate) and send it.

Put a set of Fasst Flex bars on it. I just did and it makes my forks feel like butter. The forks are set up for vet moto and felt kinda hacky in the woods. Put the flex bars on and they feel super smooth in the woods now. takes all the jarring out of the feeling on the handle bars.

I have a 01 CR250. I believe these bikes can be setup pretty good with the stock suspension but can be made awesome with the late model stuff. I am currently running a 07 CRF450 fork with the heavy inner compression springs and .47 fork springs (going to .49kg sone) on my 01CR250. For most the 2.15 inner compression spring along with the stiffer valving of the 450 forks wouldn't work too well. I am 200 lbs. and ride at a Vet A level and need the extra bottoming resistance in rythm sections or stepon stepoff sections. I like the 05 and later forks with the 2mm backset axle. It helps put a little more pressure on the front wheel which helps it bite and corner better. I am also running upper and lower RG3 triple clamps with stock 24mm offset and Renthal twinwalls. The 04 and later brake mount is lighter because its smaller, the 02 and later axle is shorter along with the one spacer, the lower lugs are offset to the inside and have weight shaved off them as well. All of these components work better because there is less unsprung weight. I also run the 06 and later hubs since they are a tad lighter. For most I think a set of 06 or 07 CRF 250 fork would work the best in stock form. If you are willing to revalve then any 05 thru 09 250 fork will work and need less changes to make it work fantastic. I have made changes to my rear shock but that's another story. I would put my 01 CR250 up againts any other late model CR in handling.