Sign in to follow this  

Warn XT17 Adventure bike winch

The new Thumper Talk news letter has an add for a winch for adventure motorcycles. Now if I have a big BMW or KTM I understand, when pushing the limits you may get yourself in trouble. But in this video, it looks like the guy is riding a KTM LC4. Is this a product anyone would consider for there DRZ. I would if I'm canyon jumping or if I was Craigo:smirk: just getting out of the Hospital, but otherwise I'd be ashamed.

P.S. since warn is an advertiser and supporting ThumperTalk, I should add they are a great company with good quality products. I just think the video is silly.

That has to be the sorriest piece of marketing Ive ever seen. :lol::lol::) Im gonna have to watch that again!

Got to be kidding. A couple of things come to mind. Don't ride alone, and if you do, ride something appropriate for where you are going. And probably would not be suck in a pissant little mud hole if not carrying a winch to pull you out. What do you do when you kill the battery on your GS25000 winching your way thru the forest. This isn't motorcycling.

thumbs up if you're really just jealous you don't have one... i could have used it 10 times today. the drz is HEAVY !

They can't be serious..:):bonk:

The money to purchase the winch would be better spent on a riding course to improve riding technique.....

And of course the guy acting (in mean riding) making the obstacle wouldn't have been a "set up". :lol:

A more suitable rear tyre and a bit more speed and that would be no problem , to much messing around for my liking plus how much more weight does this add ?

Owe yes and the usal pants music !

I just can't see using a winch for any motorcycle, isn't that why we carry line?

The vid demonstrates the product working. I can see it for the BIG adventure bikes, or older aged riders who may not be able to muscle a big bike out of a deep hole.

I'm sure both KTM riders (as well as you critics) could have gotten out of that little rut, but that's not the point, now is it?

I think if they could make it a few lbs lighter, and a few bucks cheaper, there's potential for the kind of rider. Bikes don't need to pull as much weight as this thing list, so there is room for improvement.

http://www.warn.com/adventuretouring/XT17_winch.shtml

That’s a horribly imagined product a marketer talked the bean counters into producing and bringing to market looking for a problem that is not there..

Not useable in real motorcycle riding experiences by 99.99% of riders.. Making it a horrible mass marketed retailed product.

Something designed and fitted to an elite BMW got to have ever gadget guy’s bike?, sure. Applicable to some adventure solo around the world rider, maybe.. But mass marketed.. Umm, no, and the snickering from those here and every other forum I’ve seen this “accessory” written about is pretty strong suggestion that I’m not off base.

If you nail two things together that have never been nailed together before some shmuck will buy it – Steve Martin

Edited by E.Marquez

From the mouth of a Motorcycle Accessory Dealer, Inventor, manufacture and retailer.. :lol::lol::) I would expect no less...

:banghead:

That’s a horribly imagined product a marketer talked the bean counters into producing and bringing to market looking for a problem that is not there..

Not useable in real motorcycle riding experiences by 99.99% of riders.. Making it a horrible mass marketed retailed product.

Something designed and fitted to an elite BMW got to have ever gadget guy’s bike?, sure. Applicable to some adventure solo around the world rider, maybe.. But mass marketed.. Umm, no, and the snickering from those here and every other forum I’ve seen this “accessory” written about is pretty strong suggestion that I’m not off base.

If you nail two things together that have never been nailed together before some shmuck will buy it – Steve Martin

E.M. You must have me confused with someone else, I have NOTHING to do with any motorcycle company, dealer, retailer, etc etc. At all. Never have.

EDIT: I just "got it"...sorry, my coffee hasn't kicked in yet!

I'm just a 50 year old who's been woods riding since I was 7, been sunk tank deep in mud too many times to count, been on both sides of a tow strap, and have seen quads wench themselves out of trouble several times, making me think...someday a small winch "COULD" be helpful to an ADV rider on one of those BIG bikes.

And why would it bother anyone here? Riders once laughed at e-start on dirt bikes, water cooling, disc brakes and auto clutches too!

Would I buy one? No. Do I need one? No.

Maybe I just see the potential for, as I stated before, a certain market.

Edited by MR Honda
added text

E.M. You must have me confused with someone else, I have NOTHING to do with any motorcycle company, dealer, retailer, etc etc. At all. Never have.

You are correct I did :lol: sorry about that.. :banghead:

Editied as required.\\ The rest of the post stands.:)

Silly product, but... If you nail two things together that have never been nailed together before some shmuck will buy it – Steve Martin

Silly product, but... If you nail two things together that have never been nailed together before some shmuck will buy it – Steve Martin

I find it odd I'm defending a product that I'll may never buy...

But then again, I've see countless DRZs here with (aftermarket) skid plates, that never see any off-road action, except a gravel driveway. :lol:

It's not that I don’t find an electromechanical device mounted to a motorcycle interesting, and entertaining.. As I do any well built, installed MOD, regardless of my own personal opinions of usefulness..

It’s the whole marketing and Idea that Warn has put together for this smallest, of a small segments of motorized sports. That Im snickering at.

It’s a product someone is interested in for sure… But that demographic, sliced from a miniscule one that is the motorcycle rider has to be tiny. Hardly worthy of a Mass Marketing adventure like this.

I have installed many, many thousands of dollars worth of warn product, some given to us being sponsored, most on my own dime, just on a single race jeep, never mind 20 years worth of build off road trucks. So understand I’m not bashing Warn as a company, just making fun of this single product as it’s been marketed.

I'm not going to lie I wish my riding buddy would carry one of those it would have came in handy more then once, and no we weren't stuck in a little rut. There has been more then once that one of us fell off the wrong side of a single track down a hill. Would I buy one no but heck it sure would have added some more riding time for us instead of dragging his bike back up the mountain. Ok maybe it would have dragged my butt up a hill a time or two also. And yes we often ride in terrain that is way above our skills. That makes it more fun.

It's a hammed up commercial, that's it.

Would I buy one? Nope.

Will they sell some? You better believe they will. There's a massive segment of ADV wanna-bes who will be bolting them onto their rear fenders, to be shown off at every Starbucks they stop at.