Sign in to follow this  

2001 RM 250 Rebuild, any ideas?

Back in August I picked up a horrible condition 01 rm 250 from a craigslist ad, that I thought had huge potential. I failed at talking the guy down to less than his firm price of 500. This Bike has turned into a MONEY PIT. I've probably put in another thousand in replacing missing parts. the crankshaft bearings were busted so I just bought a working bottom end from the same year and model on ebay, to avoid having to rebuild the bottom end. Missing fuel cock, broken throttle, torn up seat cover, beat up plastics with weak corroded hardware, bent brake lever, missing gaskets, missing footpegs, worn out piston wrist bearing, bent up piston rings, missing grips, hopelessly old airfilter,corroded top end screws, missing pipe and muffler mounting hardware, seized swing arm bolt, and the list goes on...and on top of that the bike is just plain grody, like it never saw a powerwasher in it's lifetime...anyways, a nightmare to say the least.

Should I put in the minimum to get the bike running fairly well and sell it? or should I dump more money into it to turn it into a solid bike I can keep for a long time? If the latter, what would you recommend adding to it?

Here's some pictures of the bike throughout the rebuild.

In the truck after picking it up:

IMG_1815.jpg

Torn Down:

IMG_2102.jpg

IMG_2103.jpg

Put together:

IMG_2106.jpg

After cleaning up the plastics:

IMG_2119.jpg

What do you plan on doing with it. 01 is a good year, but RM's do get progressively better each year thereafter. I have an 01 for my moto practice bike, love it. Really like my 03 that I race desert on, and loved my moto only 02. Yours looks clean enough. Only buy all the stuff you need to make it a solid mount and go ride it. If you like it, then fit it up with some bling of your choice. If you dont, clean it really good and sell it for what is invested. You should be able to get at least 1500 for it, it is complete and fresh right???

If your looking for a trail bike you can scratch up and not worry, youve got it there. If your looking for a modern moto machine to smoke all the four strokes, you had better sell it and get something newer. If you are looking for a reliable play bike for moto and trails, spruce it up a bit and enjoy.

BTW, Just noticed the Showa stickers on the KYB forks. You might want to replace those to minumize ridicule in the future.LOL

This is actually my first bike dirt bike, so a little bit of everything, except racing. I'm starting out with a pretty powerful bike, but I'm a pretty huge dude, 6 3 coming in at 230 pounds, and I had my heart set on a 2 stroke.

my pipe is super banged up and rusted, should I put a fresh fmf pipe and silencer on? looked on ebay and I can get them both for about 230

and thanks for the heads up on the showa stickers...I had no idea haha

Alright what do you have in mind? What is a crucial part of the bike that would be worth replacing with brand new stuff, to help make the bike last longer?

And I was thinking about saving the graphics kit for the very last addition, as it's slightly pointless.

And yes I've already bought all the gear, so saving money for that is not an issue.

This is actually my first bike dirt bike, so a little bit of everything, except racing. I'm starting out with a pretty powerful bike, but I'm a pretty huge dude, 6 3 coming in at 230 pounds, and I had my heart set on a 2 stroke.

my pipe is super banged up and rusted, should I put a fresh fmf pipe and silencer on? looked on ebay and I can get them both for about 230

and thanks for the heads up on the showa stickers...I had no idea haha

Your not that big. Actually a bit smaller than me. I am 6 3 and 245. I race desert on an 03 RM 250 and ride the track on my 01. That being said, dont buy into the FMF hype. Your bike will run much better with a Pro Circuit pipe and silencer. But, as said before, make sure all the other stuff is up to parr first. Fresh top end( i would guess since it was apart when you picked it up, I hope you put new parts in it), all chassis bearings in like new condition and greased( no play anywhere, none), Good condition chain and sprockets, suspension set up for your weight is very important, and ergo's. I like a tall seat and really tall handlebars. I run Renthal Charmiceal high bend. Tall seat is SDG brand. Hope this helps a bit and live by this.... Dont override your capabilities. You can get years of fun from riding dirtbikes if you ride within your ability. If you override your ability, a big crash will be coming your way. Dont do it! Progress at your own rate, no matter what your friends say. Sometimes you have to try new stuff to get better, but dont overdo it or you will dislike motorcycling quickly. Have fun.

Are there any good threads on chassis bearing maintenance?

And what what be the value added by replacing the chain and sprockets?