Sign in to follow this  

power mods for my crf 450

Hi everyone, im new here and looking for some like minded ppl for ideas and tips for my bike. I have a 04 and im an enduro style rider so i like fast and powerful, mid and top range power and top speed.

-I have fitted stage 2 cam

-47 tooth rear

-twin air and air box mods

My question is what to do next.

-Im thinking il go a 12.5:1 piston, can anyone tell me what there like and the difference?

-Is there any real benifit from exhaust as the stock item seems to breath well?

-What jetting should i be looking at for power? (i been playing with a few sizes)

any other tips for a bit more go be much appreciated thanks Darren

You already have 12.5.1 piston stock.

Learn how to jet your bike correctly first. Get the gearing where you need it for your terrain Then you can add performance parts to it if you still feel the need. Suspension would be one of the best things to spend money on if you haven't yet.

Skip the 12.5:1 piston and go straight for the 13.5:1. You'll still be able to use premium pump gas. Anything higher and you'll need race gas. Look into a jd jet kit. Absolutely amazing jets. I don't have any experience with the power now system but you can look into that too. Port n polish will do wonders if you have enough cash. I put an fmf on my 03 and it really let it breath. A lot of people like the mrd exhaust so check them out too.

Have you had any suspension work done yet? There is no sense in spending a lot of money on power mods when you can go the speed with your bike bucking all over the place.

With that said, I would first make sure the bike is in tip top shape maintenance-wise. If your piston or valves are close to being shot, then obviously you aren't going to have max performance. I would also make sure jetting is spot on. Have you looked at different gearing to get better top speed?

From there, things you can do to increase powder are:

1-Aftermarket exhaust

2-Cams

3-High Compression Piston

4-Motorwork

5-Mods that increase airflow (airbox vents, if they have it for the 04 CRF, then the Cycra rear fender that has the rear vent, etc.)

Note: if you have a lot of the above work done, you may want to look into oversize radiators to improve cooling since your motor will be hotter.

I don't see the Power Now being of much benefit to you. Those are usually suited for low end improvement, which are very slight.

Hi everyone, im new here and looking for some like minded ppl for ideas and tips for my bike. I have a 04 and im an enduro style rider so i like fast and powerful, mid and top range power and top speed.

-I have fitted stage 2 cam

-47 tooth rear

-twin air and air box mods

My question is what to do next.

-Im thinking il go a 12.5:1 piston, can anyone tell me what there like and the difference?

-Is there any real benifit from exhaust as the stock item seems to breath well?

-What jetting should i be looking at for power? (i been playing with a few sizes)

any other tips for a bit more go be much appreciated thanks Darren

13.5:1 or 14:1 compression, longrod(not stroker), port work, lightened crank, aftermarket CDI.

I would switch to 05 CRF450R computer and wire harness off EBAY seemed to clean up bottom...jetting wise 04 was really good with stock jets tweak with care...I would also try 20mm triple off EBAy but prob require next stiffer fork springs with 1.42 pressure springs...might just skip triple and go for 1.42 pressure springs as first step fork mod.

My thoughts...Bill

Skip the 12.5:1 piston and go straight for the 13.5:1. You'll still be able to use premium pump gas. Anything higher and you'll need race gas. Look into a jd jet kit. Absolutely amazing jets. I don't have any experience with the power now system but you can look into that too. Port n polish will do wonders if you have enough cash. I put an fmf on my 03 and it really let it breath. A lot of people like the mrd exhaust so check them out too.

Thanks alot mate, yeh i didnt want to mess around with a tiny jump in comp but thought u need race fuel for 13 so thats good to know. Whats the go with these jd jets? how come there better. I pulled a 170 main jet out and put a 180 in i bought from me local bike shop, seems to be running really good with that. With the exhaust should i bother with the header or just put a good muffler on

Thanks alot everyone for the help, much appreciated. Got a pretty good idea of where il go from here now cheers

Learn how to jet your bike correctly first. Get the gearing where you need it for your terrain Then you can add performance parts to it if you still feel the need. Suspension would be one of the best things to spend money on if you haven't yet.

I rekn i mite of jagged it a bit with the jetting, seems to be running really strong with the main jet i just put in, shes goin real hard. As for suspension it actually feels really good as it is ay, i only weigh 65kg so the std suspension isnt gettin pushed too hard, feels really good.