Sign in to follow this  

Bad water pump?

I just bought a used 06 crf 450r, During my first ride i noticed coolant leaking from a small drain hole in the case right where the water pump mounts. Now every time i start it coolant slowly leaks from this hole after running for about thirty seconds. My best guess is the water pumps needs replacing. I just bought this bike after not having a dirtbike for 15 years, please help me!

Water pump seals and shaft bearings and do the balancer shaft bearings at the same time!! Or youll put it all back together and find it still leaks etc.

Awesome , thanks. I'm on Honda parts warehouses looking at an exploded view of the water pump. I only see one shaft bearing, no shaft balancer bearing. is there one or two bearings?

Theres only one bearing.

I would put in a new bearing, shaft, oil seal and water seal since your in there.

One bearing for the water pump shaft. And 2 bearings for the counter balancer shaft.

No the balancing shaft is not part of the water pump.

The water pump parts consist of: a bearing, oil seal, shaft, water seal, copper washer and impellor.

This is a common issue with CRF 450s but forunately the parts arent very expensive and you can easily do the work yourself.

Here are some step by step instructions that helped me when I had to rebuild my water pump:

http://crfsonly.com/howto/450r/water-pump/honda-crf450r-water-pump-rebuild.php

Balancer shaft isnt part of the water pump. but the balancer shaft is what drives the water pump shaft. So if there is any wear in the balancer shaft bearings, this will cause the water pump shaft to wiggle and cause a leak etc.

Just checked out the balancer shaft on bike bandit, almost 2 hundred bucks! I'm kind of broke rite now seeing as my fiance just wrecked her car. Can I inspect it when I open it up to determine if it needs replacing. If so, what do I look for?

Edited by Davidg82

You don´t need a new balanceshaft, only the bearing if it´s worn.