Sign in to follow this  

Considering swapping my 08 kx450

So I have run into a plethora of problems with my 08 KX450F after coming back from deployment and I'm looking to just rid myself of the headaches and pick up a new/newish, problem free bike. I'm 5'8", 165lbs, do mostly desert riding and some trails in SoCal. I have always felt like my KX was on rails and it was fairly difficult for me to throw it around in tight areas compared to a friends 06 YZ450. I'm not sure if it's frame design, rake, handlebar adjustment or what, but when I get on his YZ I have a MUCH easier time making it do what I want. I am terrible at finding good deals, so I'm wondering what y'all recommend for a newer bike. I love the power of the KX but I just don't feel like I can man handle it like a YZ. I wouldn't mind swapping to a newer fuel injected model. After fixing the blown head gasket, replacing the broken radiators and rebuilding the carb, I MIGHT be able to get $2k out of this bike, so I would like to stay at $4k or less for a replacement. Suggestions?

The 06 + yz450fs are awesome!!! Persoanlly i have a 09 yz450f and its one of the best bikes i ever bought! Very very reliable!!!!!!!! Only thing the bike needs is an exhaust. And if you want even more snappy power, i'd recomend a 06 cdi and cams. But just by adding a pipe it made a world of a difference!!!!!!!:lol:

And might i suggest a newer Yz250 2 stroke??:)

thanks man and god bless

Alex

I had an 07 KX450 and loved it in the desert, and didn’t mind it on the single track. I did not notice much difference between it and my buddies 06 YZ450 as far as how they handled, but the KX did put down more low end power and would always outrun the YZ. If you want a bike to throw around in the tight stuff it is hard to beat a lightweight 2-stroke. 2-strokes are a blast in the trees but not a stable as a big 4-stroke in the open desert. I guess it depends on where you do most of your riding and what you are really looking for.

CoKTM