Clear oil feed line?

After my recent no oil flow blow up newly purchased xr issue, is there a way to get a clear plastic or acrylic oil feed line to the head?

Has anyone thought of this? I know glass would be the best as the oil would not affect it, much like a sight glass only for the flowing oil?

Any ideas? Hell im all for a clear valve cover if they made it?

I would be very suspect of anything but a steel line feeding oil to the head. Stuff happens off-road and sometimes parts of mother nature gets wedged into places where it does not belong. A busted oil line means a long walk home...

I have to agree with Thump on this. And although the sight glass would work if you can fab it in there, that's a lot of cash. I would say ensure it is primed by pressurizing the frame with some air, crack the bolt at the head a little and then crank the bike over. Once it is primed it is good to go.

Of course, I am a cheap SOB.?

I always thought , it would be nice to be able to put an oil pressure gauge some where, like a car to see if bearings are too sloppy & thus lower pressure. I think that top end feed is just a flow & no pressure. The sight glass would be the better choice here, but doubt the tube drains down after shutting off. So you would always just see a dirty oil glass. Once its primed I dont think its an issue, unless there is a check valve that lets oil drain back down when sitting & then cold starts have a few seconds delay of lubing the top end, thus over time slowly speeds wearing, from dry starts. Cyclewizard & other experts hear, probably has good knowledge of workings.

Sorry I should add that my bike is a supermoto so it will see alot of high rpm street use. It would be nice to look down to check for flow at hot idle and know 100% oil is moving. I will have almost 2000$ in this engine when done so it is huge insurance. I will also be adding a oil cooler. It would just be nice everytime i take the bike for a ride to look down and know there is good oil flow.

About durability of the piece, it being brass with two 1/4" glass windows, and being tucked tight against the engine inboard of the side cover, I think it will be fine.

I think the tube could drain down all that the rotary spinny glass seems to be is an offset paddle wheel and a bearing. They also say they can flow either direction.

Im worried about some restriction blocking the oil flow with the wheel?

Keep the ideas coming.

at the head see pick oil pressure sending unit Hobbs napa # 701-1591

It's allmost o psi when the engine is hot,so you must use an adjustable switch the 4 th switch I tryed is a hobbs napa # 701-1591 4 psi normally open / normally closed ,wired power to common N /C to light on dash it will flicker at idle after a bit give it some gas and it will go out ,but that lets you know it has pressure witch is all I want to know.

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.152797511482174.32463.100002557781360&type=3#!/photo.php?fbid=152797908148801&set=a.152797511482174.32463.100002557781360&type=3&theater

winginit -I cant see your facebook link you posted.

I think after i get the bike closer to being put back together, I will buy a extra oil feed line for the head and order the smallest rotary wheel indicator and get it put together. Sounds easy enough?

I would love to be able to verify flow and oil condition by looking down at ANY time.

winginit -I cant see your facebook link you posted.

I think after i get the bike closer to being put back together, I will buy a extra oil feed line for the head and order the smallest rotary wheel indicator and get it put together. Sounds easy enough?

I would love to be able to verify flow and oil condition by looking down at ANY time.

Hummm ? cant see the link? it works when I click on it,I guess it only works if you have a face book page,But I dont know for sure.

I dont know how much the flow meter would cost, it sounds cool,but not cheap.

This sending unit was 45.00 that I am useing and I am very happy with it. I know every time I start my bike that it is getting oil to the top. And I dident restrict the oil flow in any way. It has done that,and given me a little pice of mind.

Edited by winginit