Sign in to follow this  

Ticking Noise HELP?

Hey everyone

I recently purchased a used 08 Kx 250f. Since the purchase I have rode it for 1 hour approximately. During riding I noticed that there came a strange ticking noise from the cylinder. I noticed it also when the bike was idling. What could it be?? Valves, Cam chain?? How much could it be if I bring the bike to a shop to be fixed? Thanks :lol:

Get an engine stethoscope. A full understanding of the 4 stroke and a scope and you can Dx just about anything before you even grab an 8mm T handle.

Update: I started it today. While i was kicking it like 12 times, out of those 12 kicks it back fired like 4 times. I have a feeling the valves are out of spec, but maybe you guys have a better idea of what it is.

It could be a loose cam chain that has jumped a tooth. I wouldn't run it anymore until I took the cover off and checked things out. You can turn it over to TDC and then look at the cam's to see it it is still in time. There is description in the manual or check out some of the sticky's at the top of the forum. Good luck!

Its starting, but only after like 5 backfires and 12 kicks. I cant take it apart cause im renting, ill wait till spring to take it apart outside, its too cold right now. Thanks for your feedback

Thanks for everyones help! I have decided that its probably the valves andto bring the bike to my friend's mechanic, he will shim the valves.